Sign in to follow this  
jnbbkwsk

1976 C-120 Auto Tiller Model?

jnbbkwsk

I've got a '76 C-120 automatic. I'm looking for a tiller attachment and have seen a few for sale online here and there, but I'm not sure what tiller will hook up to my tractor. Is there a model number of part number on the tiller that can tell me whether or not it will fit my tractor? If there's more than one tiller option for this year model tractor, which do y'all recommend? Thanks.

can whlvr

im sure someone will know of a chart or cross reference,heres a pic of a 1975 36 tiller,its model 7-1252,if you can find what tractor the tiller was on that will help,as the tillers for the standard c,s3,400,s right up to 2007,but they need to be fron garden tractores,not lawn tractors,i use parts tree to look up model numbers to see if it looks similar to something i know fits,this 7-1252 is the basic design un changed for the most part for many years

082-1.jpg as you can see this 1975 is a direct bolt on to a 1987 414

jnbbkwsk

Great. Sounds like the 7-1252 is what I need. Thanks for the help.

jnbbkwsk

I have some more questions about parts needed to install the 7-1252 tiller on my '76 C-120. Looking on Ebay, I've found two 7-1252 tillers, but neither comes with any extra parts. From what i can tell, in addition to the tiller itself, I'll need a mid mount idler bar with pulleys, a belt, a heavy duty helper spring, and some sort of shaft mount that goes on top of the hitch at the rear of the tractor. Am I missing anything? Can anyone post a good picture of the area where the tiller attaches to the tractor and a picture of where the mid idler assembly attaches? One more thing: does the belt for the tiller fit on the main motor pulley without any special mods or parts?

can whlvr

the belt goes to the pto pulley that your tractor should have(hopefully)and yes there is a mid mount set of pullies that attach to the tackamatic hitch under the motor,attached to the frame which should be on your tractor,not the pullies though they are part of the tiller,the tiller hooks to the rear of the tractor on the bottom of the axles with the same brackets that are used for snow dozer style plows,you may not have that either,and the rock shaft that goes under the seat pan,which can be used without,i dont have a rock shaft but made a pullie undre the seat because the cable keep breaking from rubbing on the back lower seat stand(on my 414),i will get full pics for you tommorow of the setup if noone else has any tonight,and the 7-1252 isnt the only model that will fit,its the model i have but there are other models as well,remember there is ALOT of years that will work,the 7-1252 is a common model though

jnbbkwsk

Pictures would be great. Thanks for the help. I've got the tachomatic hitch, the pto pulleys, and the brackets under the axel (I use those to hold up the grading blade I've got). I've also got the tube that runs under the seat that can be used for the lift chain. I did some more looking around and I think I'd be better off with the 77-0136TL (I think that's the model number). It's basically the same as the 7-1252, with some slight differences. I haven't been able to locate one yet though.

can whlvr

good to hear you have alot of the things needed,and dont forget parts tree for looking up models,it will tell you what some things are meant to fit :thumbs:

can whlvr

heres a few pics,you can see the roller i made instead of a rocker shaft,it works great and cost me nothing but time,this is the spring and idlers,cant get to the tiller now,were still in full winter up here

DSC00071.jpg

DSC00069.jpg

DSC00068.jpg

jnbbkwsk

Thanks for the pictures. I have a much better idea of what i'm up against, especially with the spring you used. None of the tillers I've seen for sale have the spring with them, so it's nice to see what size spring works for you. Great job on the home-made parts too. Enjoy that winter, it's in the mid 60's down here!

can whlvr

just so you know thats a factory spring for the tiller,works on the thrower on the front of manual lifts too

tgranthamfd

I have a 77-36TL01 mounted up on my 2005 315-8, Classic GT. It will, also, hook right up to my brother's 1976 C-160, or my 80's Black hoods.

jnbbkwsk

Thanks everyone for the help. I ended up finding a tiller outside St. Louis. I'm pretty sure it's a 7-1252, but it doesn't have a model number on it anymore. I finally got it running with my C-120 after several days of trying to find the right belt. The belt that came with the tiller had a 138.75 in. outside circumference. I ended up needing 143 in. outside circumference. Everything thing else went smooth. I'm ready to till, and just in time for spring!

can whlvr

thats good news,so now you can go tear it up