Sign in to follow this  
bowtiebutler956

36" deck

bowtiebutler956

I have 74 B-80 that I recently restored, it has a 36" side discharge deck that I took the baffle out of, so it discharges out the side and back. I did this because I don't pick up my grass and so it would not get plugged up with grass. Anyway I replaced the idler pulley and all of the spindles, they are just cartridges complete with spindle shaft and bearings that you just press into the old housings, well I noticed the deck starting to make noise so I took the deck off for closer inspection. I found some twine wrapped around one of the outside blades and it was making the blade a little stiff so I removed it and the blade felt fine. I removed the belt cover and the belt so I could feel each individual spindle, they felt fine to me. I put the deck back on, and it was still making noise. :ranting: I started messing with the pto belt, and I noticed that if I loosened the belt some the noise got quieter, so I'm thinking it must be the center spindle bearing, but it felt fine to me. This thing has only mowed about 10 acres since rebiuld. :banghead: Can running the pto belt a little to tight cause a spindle bearing to fail this quickly? Has anybody else had this happen to them? :text-thankyoublue:

Oh the bearings are new in the bull drive as well, and here is a pic of the mower. Of course these pics are of when it had just been rebiult. Thanks in advance. Matt

post-6076-0-20120700-1330132390.jpg

post-6076-0-02284300-1330132445.jpg

• Like 1

can whlvr

i woulnt think that the bearing assembly should have worn out that quick,i rebuilt a 36 once and those bearings wernt cheap,i dont like that they are non greasable but only 10 acres,maybe you got a bad bearing,are they chinese,when i did mine my parts guy told me to stay away from the cheap option for those bearing spindle combo,it cost me 200 dollars for the set,and that was without blades,thats why im not a fan of that style spindle,i like the greasable with the 40mm bearing,cheap to rebuild

• Like 1

bowtiebutler956

I agree with you, I wish they were greasable, I could not find them anywhere but through stens, there were not chinese they were tiawanese. :text-lol: I am not sure thats any better.

can whlvr

i think mine were stens too,i sold that deck so i dont know how they lasted

bowtiebutler956

Has anybody else had this happen to them? Can running my pto belt to tight cause this? Help a guy out. :text-thankyoublue: Matt

AMC RULES

I know nothing about your spindle bearings Matt, but I can tell you...that tractor is gorgeous. :text-coolphotos:

Really nice job on the resto. :thumbs:

• Like 1

can whlvr

hey matt,i really dont think that running it too tight for only a few acres wont wreck it that fast,over the years ya but not that quick