Sign in to follow this  
Paul D.

Tranny Oil change

Paul D.

So after talking with the P.O. of my tractor(AKA My Dad) it doesn't sound like my C141 (Hydrostatic, Sundstrand I believe) has ever had the tranny oil changed. The manual calls for an oil change once a year! The manual calls out for 10w 30. I'm good with that but has anyone ever used synthetics in there Tranny? would it even really be a benefit in this case? I am planning on doing an oil change here in the next couple of weeks and want to do this the right way. Can you pick up these oil filters at an auto parts store or farm store or do you have to go to toro and get your wallet emptied out? Any input would be appreciated

Martin

the oil filters have been discussed on here many times, but for what its worth, i would get one from toro, i think the last one was about $12. kelly mentioned that he uses synthetics, maybe he will chime in.

recent thread on the topic.....

Kelly

Buy a Toro filter, or at least make sure the filter is a hyd. filter NOT a engine oil filter with a by pass valve, I've been changing my hydros to full synthetic motor oil, brand of your choice, I use Mobil 1, so far I like how fast the tractor is ready to use in the colder weather, time for my hyd lift to start working is cut in half, I'm happy with the change, I also don't put alot of hours on any one tractor a year so the fluid will not be changed yearly maybe just the filter and top off the oil.

Hydro

This is my 4th Hydro and the last two I ran synthetic oil. I changed the oil once in 3 years. I put about 40-50 hours a year. I used a Toro filter. I changed the engine oil and filter every season. This year I am running 5W-30 in the Hydro. So far it has not been cold enough to have any affect on the way it operates.

can whlvr

there are other options for the flter,sorry i dont know the part # but i got a hydro filter at my local auto farm supply,i do beleive in oem stuff,but my dealer puts in an order once a week in the summer,lucky too get the parts in one week after he orders them,in winter like this once a month,im waiting for a few small things now for 3 weeks,so sometimes i have to go the other way from the dealer,but as kelly said make sure its a hydrolic filter,i took my old one and they matched it easy

mattd860

Buy a Toro filter, or at least make sure the filter is a hyd. filter NOT a engine oil filter with a by pass valve, I've been changing my hydros to full synthetic motor oil, brand of your choice, I use Mobil 1, so far I like how fast the tractor is ready to use in the colder weather, time for my hyd lift to start working is cut in half, I'm happy with the change, I also don't put alot of hours on any one tractor a year so the fluid will not be changed yearly maybe just the filter and top off the oil.

I'm just curious to know why you can't use an engine oil filter with a bypass valve? I'm not sure what's on my 520h but when I changed the oil 6 months ago I went with a Mobil One filter that matched the toro filter I had in hand. I'm not sure if the employee grabbed an engine oil filter or hydro filter??? For what it's worth, my 520 has been driving very smoothly since I changed the oil. If there is an engine filter installed, will I experience immediate failure or is it a ticking time-bomb?

can whlvr

i would look at the filter or change to a toro to know for sure,you dont want a bypass because it will get a little plugged over time and then the filter bypasses the fluid letting unfiltered oil into the system,they arnt much cash to be sure,jmo

AMC RULES

Should be able to research the number off of the filter, cross reference to determine if it's correct for hydro's. :techie-computer:

Martin

here we go with the toro filter/aftermarket filter thing again.........

i guess if you want to do the research and find a cross referenced filter that works, go ahead.

for me though $12 from my toro dealer for a toro one, and knowing that it is correct, is piece of mind for me....

i buy napa (wix) filters for everything else i do engine wise, most of them are around $5 -$6 and even with the toro trans filter at double the price, its only realistically going to be every 12 months that you buy one, so for $6 extra over 12 months, is it really worth the savings?

just my :twocents-02cents: .....

Kelly

A by pass valve will open if the oil is cold and thick, letting unfiltered oil though the trans, and when the filter gets plugged it will make the oil by pass the filter, not going to trash the trans, in fact it will probably be fine for years BUT Hyd. filters do not have a by pass on the for a reason, they do not want the oil by passing the filter EVER in a hyd application, I'm sure that could be part of the reason some tractors don't move in the cold, thick oil being pushed through the filter, I buy the Toro filters but fram and other brands do make suitable replacements just check to see if it has a by pass valve.