Sign in to follow this  
Fun Engineer

How do you get access to the Detent Balls from outside the case?

Fun Engineer

I have my transmission apart for re-build. How do you get access to the detent balls to reinstall the shift rail and fork assembly? Is there a cap on the case that seals this area? The Repair Manual says to use a punch to keep the detent balls and spring in but it does not tell you how to get access with the punch. Thanks for any help.

Dave

Martin

in from the front side where the trans mounts up to the frame..... there is a hole that gives you access.

top of this pic, right next to the threaded hole for the left top mounting bolt....

CIMG1260-1.jpg

WH854

I have my transmission apart for re-build. How do you get access to the detent balls to reinstall the shift rail and fork assembly? Is there a cap on the case that seals this area? The Repair Manual says to use a punch to keep the detent balls and spring in but it does not tell you how to get access with the punch. Thanks for any help.

Dave

If you look on the RH side of the case where the transmission fastons to the tractor you should see three holes two for bolts and one with what is called a cup plug. You have to use a small punch or screw driver to dig it outThat was how I did it. :thumbs:

Chas

Fun Engineer

So it does have a plug. Thanks guys. Can this be removed without damaging it?

WH854

in from the front side where the trans mounts up to the frame..... there is a hole that gives you access.

top of this pic, right next to the threaded hole for the left top mounting bolt....

CIMG1260-1.jpg

:text-yeahthat:

Chas

WH854

I got a new one from Toro P/N 1243 :thumbs:

Chas

Martin

none of mine have ever had plugs. thats not to say one wasnt there originally. im not sure if one was installed by the factory. one i had was filled with silicon the rest dirt.

edit... i guess they were! thanks chas......

Fun Engineer

Thanks Chas and Martin. I can't wait to finish this tractor. It's been over a year.