Sign in to follow this  
JMW

How much oil

JMW

I've got an older 12hp kohler s/g engine with a wide base oil pan.The engine has no dipstick.. just an oil fill plug.Two questions....How much oil should it hold and is there a way to add a dipstick to it? Thanks in advance...Jim

Jim_M

The plug should have a dipstick attached to it. You'll be safe putting 2 quarts in it, I think they actually call for 1 3/4, but I've always used 2.

Martin

the 1972 kohler manual states 2 quarts.

i remember reading somewhere in a manual when i got my 1054 that it was 1 3/4 (although i cant find any reference to it now)

72oil.jpg

sorekiwi

I'll throw a different number out there! :hide:

The Lube Recommendations manual states 2 1/2 Qts for a bunch of the early S/G big blocks.

lube_recpdf-AdobeReader2182012100245AM.jpg

Interesting that it lists only 1 1/4 qts for a 953 though, I didnt think they used the shallow pan?

The manual is available in the files section:

• Like 1

Martin

mike, i forgot about looking at this chart. i remember now that i was :scratchead: about all the different quantities that there are for the same stuff. whats up with that. wheelhorse one amount, kohler another......

i was wrong about the 1054 amount too as i remember looking at this chart when i first got the 1054. and it was more not less. im not sure where i thought it was 1 3/4. then i guess i started going by the k series manual from 1972 and used 2 quarts for all of them. i cant see where 2 1/2 would hurt though. i might do that next time and look in the filler with a flashlight and see how the level looks with the crank etc. i would think if the oil was just up to the bottom of the crank journal, right at the rod nuts that would be about as high as you would want to go. im sure if the crank had to push through a bunch of oil all the time that would hurt the hp some.

sorekiwi

Yeah, I dont know. I would be tempted to go with Kohlers recommendation over Wheel Horses (Kohler should know best right?).

I know I have a 12 hp engine in my plow machine thats smokes like a train until the oil level gets to about a pint below the "Low" mark!! :hide:

When I've finished my coffee I'll go back out to the garage and measure the dipstick lengths for the record.

sorekiwi

I checked the dipsticks in 3 big block Kohlers that I have here, and they are all the same (1276,1057 and a Charger engines).

From the bottom of the plug: F = 8", L = 8 7/8" and the stick itself is 9 3/16" long.

Rememnber that on a Kohler the level is checked with the dipstick unscrewed, and the flat on the bottom of the plug resting on the engine block.

can whlvr

i know were not talking about magnums but in the operators manual there are different volumes for different motors,310,312,414,416 are 2 1/2 quarts,the 308 is 1 1/4,417,420 is 1 1/2 quarts,so they are all different

JMW

Thanks for the input guys.This engine has had a regular plug put in it so i guess i'll have to locate one with a dipstick attached.Thanks Jim

gwgdog66

i know were not talking about magnums but in the operators manual there are different volumes for different motors,310,312,414,416 are 2 1/2 quarts,the 308 is 1 1/4,417,420 is 1 1/2 quarts,so they are all different

I just picked up a 1990 312-8, the wheel horse manual calls for 2 1/2 qts, and the kohler magnum engine manual calls for 2 qts. ??? I'll change it soon, and have 2 1/2 qts available if 2 qts don't have it at the full mark.

WheelHorseSteve

I have a spare dipstick from a K241S (10 HP) Kohler with the wide oil pan. PM me if interested!

can whlvr

its funny how different things are published from the same company,ive run into this before with things like rpms,volumes,i think you will find it takes 2 1/2,at least my 12 magnum does,and i got the info from the operators manual from wheelhorse

MalMac

Check your original plug for a hole in the bottom of it. If it has a hole in it that's where the dip stick was. If it appears to be gone check inside the motor. I had one loose the stick and went down inside. I am lucky that I notice it and did not start the motor.

WH854

I have a K241AS and a K341AS in my tractors. If they have an A after the model# they are a special oil pan. kohler tells me to put in one Qt then add till it shows full on dip stick, capacity from 1 to 1 3/4 qts the others hold 2 qts :thumbs:

Chas

WH854

I've got an older 12hp kohler s/g engine with a wide base oil pan.The engine has no dipstick.. just an oil fill plug.Two questions....How much oil should it hold and is there a way to add a dipstick to it? Thanks in advance...Jim

What is an s/g engine :scratchead::angry-banghead:

Chas

sorekiwi

Starter/Generator

WH854

Starter/Generator

Now I should have known that :bow-blue: Thanks sorekiwi :thumbs:

Chas