Sign in to follow this  
Kelly

520 trans in a 518

Kelly

I have a guy near me that has a 518 with I think the eaton 700 I have not seen the tractor yet, but I think all the 518's had them, it has manual lift, any way the trans slows down to a crawl when warm, I have a eaton 700 but not sure if it's any good, but I do have a 520 with a good trans, I know it will bolt in, and the direction controls should all bolt up, but he has no interest in adding the hyd lift, can the hyd lift be removed from the eaton 1100? would the hoses need to be looped or capped?

sorekiwi

I dont know for sure Kelly, but I think I have read that you cant just remove the hydraulic lift. It may have been Kevin {KPinNC) that posted that.

Operator

I'd just loop the hose for the mising valve. Then you'd be safe.

jay in nc

i did this same swap on my 516. when you get the 520 trans make sure you get both hydro tubes, one of them can easly be rebent to go to the other port. then it is just a matter of changing filter & fluid . my trick to refill 520 trane isto put a piece of 1/8 tubing down the funnel so the air has a place to vent, but it still takes a long time. B.T.W. my 516 with manual lift is one of my favorite tractors, good on gas plenty of power! good luck jay

kpinnc

I'd just loop the hose for the mising valve. Then you'd be safe.

I've heard yes and no Kelly, but can't confirm for you myself. I would most definitely NOT just plug the ports. There are co-axial bearings in the charge pump you don't want to run dry, not to mention if you just "loop" the circuit, you may as well keep the filter assembly in there as well.

On my 518-H, I've kept the hydraulic lift from the previous machine. I have an excellent 700 pump (originally from my 518-H) if your friend is interested. It's the only "good" 700 I've ever owned, but the only reason I have little interest in it is because it has no "tow release". If the tractor won't start, it won't move... I have too much junk that gives out 200 feet from the shop, and I don't want it if it can't be pushed or towed back.

TT

my trick to refill 520 trane isto put a piece of 1/8 tubing down the funnel so the air has a place to vent, but it still takes a long time.

Try removing one (or both) of the fender bracket bolts next time:

tranzfill.png

• Like 4

Kelly

I just this week drained and filled my 520 trans, I filled the funnel but it went no where, so I pulled one of the bolts TT is pointing out and I had a gallon in, in no time.

Kevin I'm sending you a PM on the 700 pump.

ericj

kelly, i've done the 1100 swap for the 700 on a 312A with the electric lift, just loop the hose from the trans to hydro lift control valve, or go to a shop and have new line made. i've done both ways,i swap a eaton 11 into the tractor and before i got it al put back together sold it to a guy for a 516 i used a hose from the doner tractor for the loop, it was a tad bit long. when i finally tracked down another eaton 11 from a 520 i didn't have a hose so i went to an auto parts store that made up hydroloic hose and had one made. little tough to gst the right lenght, but it worked great. the litle 312 is an absolute mountin goat on the hills now. can do things on hills that i thought couldn't be done as far as traction is concerned

eric

Jake217

I know it's been a while since anyone has responded on this thread...

I plan on puttiing an Eaton 1100 in my 86 312A. It looks lke ericj has already done this with success. I just have a few of questions:

1. Does the 1100 swap in for the 700 in a 312A as easily as many of the posts regarding the same swap in other machines indicates?

2. I would like to add a hydro lift to the 312A using the lift ports on the 1100 and a 520H lift cylinder. Can this be done?

3. Is there any point of trying to hook the 1100 pump to the existing 312A transaxle or will there be less problems if I put in the whole set up out of 520H (pump and transaxle)?

4. Is there anything I could or should do to the 1100 pump and/or transaxle while it's on the bench? Any bearings, clips, seals etc. that I can take care of now while it's out of the tractor?

4. Is there anything else that I should be thinking about and not asking?

Thanks a million for any help.

Jack

kpinnc

If the donor transmission is still together, just swap the whole thing. It's far less complicated that way. Otherwise you'll have to move the hydraulics plumbing as well. The 1100 pump shares oil with the gearbox (transaxle), and is plumbed for it. The 700 does not, so you'll have to move EVERYTHING over if you don't use the whole thing. Hydraulic lines, filter standoff, etc...

Internally, the gearboxes are identical. 8-pinion differentials, same axles.

WH520

When I did the swap in my 518H I originally was going to just swap pumps and use my rear end figuring it would be cheaper. After I ordered the pump and started working on it I realized it was a lot less hassle to get the whole rear end from a donor tractor. In my case it was actually cheaper to get the whole rear end than it would have been to get all the pieces to make the 1100 work on my original rear end that had the 700.

I would *think* the hydraulic lift from the 520 should hook up to your 312. I'm not sure if the shorter frame on the 312 would effect anything or not.

can whlvr

my 312-h has the 1100 and hydro lift so you should be fine to put a hydro lift

Jake217

Thanks for the replies. Now I can go forward with no worries.

Stigian

Great thread Guy's, some very interesting reading :handgestures-thumbup:

leeave96

The trick for filling the Eaton 1100 tranny is to crack the oil filter open and the oil will fill nicely.

Good luck,

Bill