Sign in to follow this  
Prater

Getting Ready for Spring

Prater

I have been working a bit on the cobbled together 416-8. I think the blackhood tower and hood makes a much more comfortable and reliable steering platform, the front axle is off a Toro 314-8 with adjustable tie rod arms and the comfort grip steering wheel is just begging to be added to the mix. I removed the snow blade and hooked up the Ford tiller. I ordered a few parts for the lift lever but made my own cable. I took two yoke ends, some garage door ferrels, and a piece of 1/8 galvanized cable to make the lift cable.

First was to get an estimate for the cable length, about 18 inches and then crush the ferrel on the cable

IMG_2487.jpg

I heated the yoke and added solder to help keep the cable in place

IMG_2488.jpg

I then slipped on the yoke, the cable tube from the tractor, the other yoke and then crushed the ferrel on the other end and applied heat and solder to get the finished cable. Cost less than $15

IMG_2489.jpg

I still have to get the correct size belt and add the tension spring to the mid idler but here is the tractor almost ready to go.

IMG_2491.jpg

I had to add front wheel weights after the wheelie in the front yard that was nearly uncontrollable. Its time to get the Jinma weight bracket made...

IMG_2496.jpg

• Like 1

Prater

Forget to mention that the Ford tiller tines are not frozen to the shaft. I may slip them off and anti seize them before they rust onto the shaft...

rexman72

thanks for sharing the pics.anti seize works great on just about everything

Operator

That Ford tiller really is a Toro/Wheel Horse you know. I like your cable idea! Can't find them on the "E".

Nice till'n tractor.

can whlvr

thats great work,so how do you crimp the ends,is there a crimper,or do you use a vise?

Prater

Sledge hammer and anvil. I dont have the crimp tool.

AMC RULES

Nice, informative, how to make the cable Prater. :thumbs: Thanks for sharing here. :thanks:

Paul D.

Wish I had thought about taking off the tube when I made my cable. Would have made my life much easier :angry-banghead:

dennist

Great Job, Nice Pics.

Lars

Nice job there Prater..But it wayyyyyyy to early getting ready for the spring here LOL

Prater

lars,

I did not think you had a spring, isnt it winter followed by winter like conditions and then back to winter again????

Lars

lars,

I did not think you had a spring, isnt it winter followed by winter like conditions and then back to winter again????

we have two winters here in norway a green one and a whit one.. LOL

Normally we tend to have spring in april so we have a summer, August is autumn in time. it's normal to have winter from October / November to March / April as is normally about 6 months of snow. this year, I get only 3 and a half months

can whlvr

Wish I had thought about taking off the tube when I made my cable. Would have made my life much easier :angry-banghead:

ya with that,i didnt even think of this either,want to make sure everything is clean in there where the bolts come out,gotta be ALOT easier