Sign in to follow this  
oldredrider

Tank vs Tank

oldredrider

I have a metel fuel tank from an Electro 12 that looks solid on the outside but is coated with crud on the inside. Would it be worthwhile to put this in an e-tank or am I wasting my time? Anyone done this with a tank and any tips or suggestions? I would rather try this method than chase down another one if it will work. Thanks

smoreau

It works well, just fill the tank with the solution and put the - on the tank and the + on a strip of steel that you bend at a 90 deg angle and insert it in through the fill hole and turn on the charger and wait for the magic to begin!

64s

It works well, just fill the tank with the solution and put the - on the tank and the + on a strip of steel that you bend at a 90 deg angle and insert it in through the fill hole and turn on the charger and wait for the magic to begin!

And DON"T let it touch the fill hole. If need be, put some rubber between the strip and fill neck so that they never touch metal to metal.

sorekiwi

I'd probably put a few handfuls of gravel and a bit of water (or kerosene) in it first, and shake it round for a while to loosen up the worst of the crap. It will speed up the electroylis process considerably.

I dont have time to look for it now, but Save_Old_Iron did a post a while back about how he etanked a tank, with a clever and simple method of insulating the electrode.

Prater

When momma is not looking you can fill the tank with pebble gravel and water, wrap the tank in a blanket and throw it in the dryer set to fluff with no heat...that will clean out the inside of the tank in no time...LOL

smoreau

When momma is not looking you can fill the tank with pebble gravel and water, wrap the tank in a blanket and throw it in the dryer set to fluff with no heat...that will clean out the inside of the tank in no time...LOL

Just make sure the gas cap is on tight! :ychain:

sorekiwi

I just found Chucks fuel tank electrolysis method:

• Like 1

oldredrider

Hey Mike, I just checked out SOI's post and the PVC is a great idea. And Prater I also have to say the clothes dryer method is REALLY tempting but a new gas tank is a lot cheaper than a divorce! (Your secret is safe with me)

The tank, on the inside, looks like a frat house bathroom floor on Sunday morning, so gravel and kerosene will be necessary before the e tank.

Thanks for all the suggestions and I'll post back with the results.

Electro12WH

When momma is not looking you can fill the tank with pebble gravel and water, wrap the tank in a blanket and throw it in the dryer set to fluff with no heat...

I jacked up the back of the tractor and bungee strapped the tank to the rear wheel. A great way to mix paint, too.

tgranthamfd

I used a piece of chain and a little gas, shook the pee out of it, for a while, then washed it out real good and Red Coat'ed it. Turned out ok, just got to get in some good dry time with red coat. I think it came with some cleaner or conditioner of some sort, it's been a while.

oldredrider

Update: Good news/bad news. The good news is the E-tank worked great; cleaned all the gunk, crud and rust out. The bad news is the tank has about a dozen pin holes in it and is not usable as is. On to plan B: Find a replacement tank or get some type of coating to fill and cover the pin holes.

sorekiwi

I had one here that didnt leak until I cleaned all the crap out of it. Since it was just a pinhole, and the tank was really clean after e tanking, I decided to try soldering it.

It was easier than I expected (I was surprised that the solder "stuck"). I used an old style soldering iron, the type you heat up on a propane flame.

(Usual disclaimer about flame and fuel tanks and exposions.... :hide: )

oldredrider

Soldering "might" be another option but I think the number of holes warrants a coating of some sort on the inside. Anyone had experience with gas tank coatings? As usual, this is a "budget project".

Hodge71

POR 15 gas tank repair. I used it on my 18 auto gas tank and that thing leaked like a sieve. Its solid now and not a leak to be found. Check their website out