Sign in to follow this  
whc160

oem or after market?

whc160

I am going to be doing my 1st Kolher rebuild. It is a k341 out of my dad's 75 C-160. What are your guys thoughts on using Kolher parts versus after market parts like Stens? This will be the 1st rebuild for it & I want it to last as it is his worker.

KC9KAS

You know what is funny....STENS was a Wheel Horse dealer in the 60's & 70's in Jasper Indiana.

STENS is still in Jasper Indiana.

73-18 automatic

I am going to use Stens I have heard good things

can whlvr

i heard that stens is good,probally not as good as oem,but my local parts guy said that stens is not going to keep all the rebuild stuff like before,i dont know if thats true or not but he deals with them alot,if you can afford it oem would be best,but its alot more cash,but you get what you pay for,on the other side i just did 2 motors this year and so far so good,but lets see in 10 years?

smoreau

I have used stens and have been very happy with them. The points set that comes with some kits went strait in the trash can though. Every thing else looked great!

Martin

some aftermarket parts are good, others it just pays to go oem. i was happy with my last set of stens rings, but for stuff like gaskets, especially head gaskets, oem is all i will use, just made better. some seals are good either way. it just depends on what part it is. experience with both is sometimes the best way. i think most people are happy with most aftermarket (stens) internal parts, pistons, rings, etc.

most kohler parts ive had good luck with, sometimes more expensive than aftermarket but better made, and sometimes cheaper or the same price.

been very happy with all the toro stuff ive ever got though.

once again depends on what the part is...

whc160

Thanks for your comments. On Sat. I am going to start taking it apart.

bowtiebutler956

I just rebiult the K-301 in my horse a couple of months ago, and used all stens parts piston,rings,rod,valves,gaskets and seal, so far I'm very happy, no smoke no burning oil,and you can't beat the price, but only time will tell how everything holds up. I guess it just depends on your budget, kohler parts really was'nt an option for me. :twocents-02cents:

duelldanz

I'VE HADE TWO OR THREE ENGINES COME INTO MY SHOP BLOWN UP AFTER REBUILDS BY OTHER SHOPS USING AFTERMARKET PARTS. ALL BROKE BOTTOM OF CYLINDER SKIRT WHEN ROD SNAPPED DISTROYING BLOCK. I WOULD NEVER USE AN AFTERMARKET ROD, MAYBE PISTONS & RINGS BUT NOT THE ROD.

• Like 1

whc160

Well I have decided to go oem. Have started a new topic on my rebuild. k-341 tlc

Butch

I had bought aftermarket and thought the products looked cheap. I didn't use them. I bought all Kohler parts. Huge difference.

gwgdog66

I'VE HADE TWO OR THREE ENGINES COME INTO MY SHOP BLOWN UP AFTER REBUILDS BY OTHER SHOPS USING AFTERMARKET PARTS. ALL BROKE BOTTOM OF CYLINDER SKIRT WHEN ROD SNAPPED DISTROYING BLOCK. I WOULD NEVER USE AN AFTERMARKET ROD, MAYBE PISTONS & RINGS BUT NOT THE ROD.

I agree. I had a Stens rod break in my K341 and put a hole in the block. I've used them many times in the past with good results. From now on I'll stick with the Kohler rod.

earlleecliffton

I will never buy aftermarket gaskets again