Sign in to follow this  
mattd860

Suburban 550 - Clutch Engage Problem

mattd860

When I shift into any gear on my Suburban and then release the clutch pedal, the clutch will not engage smoothly. It is either not engaged at all, or fully engaged. This makes the tractor lurch forward when releasing the clutch pedal even if I do it very SLOWLY. Is this common for these tractors?

I use my Suburban at local tractor shows to pull my wife and son on a trailer. They have to hold on for dear life when ever I have to get the tractor moving from a stop.

I have the belt cover and 'finger' installed so either something else is screwy or it's common for these suburbans.

PLEASE HELP! I don't want to retire this tractor from show duty.

Rollerman

Matt I have a 401 Suburban & even though I've had it stored away for years... it's a very good driver.

I'd look into the belt or your pulleys.

Some of the aftermarket belts will not grip when you first release the clutch, they slip get hot...then grip & go.

Also whats the condition of the pulleys?

Any rust, pitting, or tacky paint inside the grooves?

smoreau

I have the same problem with my 400 and what I have done was to take off at idle in what ever gear I wanted and then increase the rpms after I was moving. That helped out a lot. I have also speed shifted it from 1st to 2nd and then to 3rd when I was pulling a trailer with people in it with good luck. You have to be fast and it may grinding the gears a little, Not good for the rears if it does grind but after some good practice with it I was able to speed shift it with out any grinding at 1/2 throttle with a load on back and it was a smooth ride for them. I think it is the short belt set up on these neat little tractors that caused this little problem.

wallfish

The belt is sticking to the pulleys for whatever reason. Smooth take off is achieved by the belt slipping on the pulleys as the clutch pedal is released. I would start with a new QUALITY belt and clean the grooves on the pulleys like Rollerman is referring to.

stevasaurus

Mineral spirits seems to work good for that issue. :)

mattd860

What is considered a quality belt?? The belt on there now is one of those green kevlar belts from Napa.