Tim

tri ribbed tires

Tim

I am interested in putting these tires on my '74 C-160 that i till with, i have been reading that they work well for that

where can I get them and what size do I need?

thanks in advance

Martin

http://www.millertire.com/

or the deestones are available on ebay, i got mine through morrow tire.

they are deestone 4.00-8 but the wheels on the 1054 are narrower i think than your c-160. im sure others that have them on the later wheels will chime in with a size.

gallery_4321_61_496816.jpg

Terry M

Tim, Thanks for bringing up this subject.I was wondering about finding these styles of tires too. I checked all of the local places I could think of but had no luck. I really like those tires martin has and was thinking of getting something like those for my 606. I think they'd look nice with my mid mount blade. Thanks guys!!

Workin_Horses

I have a pair of the 16-6.50-8 tri-ribs on my C165 that I push snow with and also till with and they are great. I got them last summer so haven't tilled with them yet but they make a big difference when plowing snow.

Got mine from millertire (link above). At $70 a piece they are pricey but you won't be disappointed.

tgranthamfd

If you have to go with the 16x6.50x8, they will cost consideribly more that the 4.00x8. I am not sure if the narrower tires will mount up on the wider rims. maybe other will be on here soon. I am sure about the price differences. I bought the 4.00-8's for my suburban and my brother bought the 16-6.50-8's for his 75 c 160-8.

Lars

Them have some cheap wheels here too

http://www.greaterclevelandtire.com/servlet/StoreFront

squonk

Tim, Thanks for bringing up this subject.I was wondering about finding these styles of tires too. I checked all of the local places I could think of but had no luck. I really like those tires martin has and was thinking of getting something like those for my 606. I think they'd look nice with my mid mount blade. Thanks guys!!

So you have an idea on how it will look:

DSCF0993.jpg

• Like 1

Trouty56

I have the tri-rib deestones from morrow tire on my c-160. I got the tubes and tires combo for 70 bucks or so shipped. They look and steer great.

Kelly

buy the Deestones if you want the narrow tire, I have a few different brands on tractors here, they are by far the nicest in the 4.00/4.80 size and your 74 C160 should have the narrow rims that size will fit fine, the Firestone 3 ribs are very nice, I have a set on one of my 520's but they are not cheap, and you need to mount them on the wide wheels.

mcgranesp

www.tuckertire.com.

They have a ebay store online. you can get the tires with tubes for around $68.00 shipped to your house. When you go to there website look under cub cadet tires they have a really good selection, and very reasonable prices.

Terry M

mike, I like the look of those on your 704!!!!!

Hydro

I have Vredesteins they are about $50-60.00 They work well in snow. I had them on standard 8" rims which fit a 314. I now have them on a 4 stud rim. They are 16X6.50X8.

They may be too wide though for what you want. FYI anyway.

post-5559-0-52450200-1329084632_thumb.jp

• Like 1

Trouty56

Hydro....how are your spindles set up for 4 bolt hubs?? Looks very nice....looks great!!

AMC RULES

Search "Miller tire" on ebay, nice selection of lawn tractor tires there too Tim. :handgestures-thumbup:

Kelly

Hydro....how are your spindles set up for 4 bolt hubs?? Looks very nice....looks great!!

The 520 spindles for the forward swept axle are 1" and use a castle nut like a car to hold the wheel on they also use taper roller bearings, many boat trailer hubs are a direct bolt on, then you can use bolt on wheels, I did it on my 520, took about 10 min. to do the swap, but be sure to get the wheels with the correct back spacing or they may rub on the end of the axle.

Hydro

Yeah to that Kelly.

The wheels were wider than my back tires which I did not like so I turned the rims around, drilled new holes for the tube stems, welded up the old tube stems and then shimmed out the rims with two 1/2" washers per stud to clear the ball joints. For tractor ground speeds, no great deal and I do not intend to use a FEL.

I had to laugh though the tires are rated for 30 mph but I did not balance them! I needed about a 1/4" of clearance. Now everything is in line and as Kelly says it's just a matter of the castle nut and a cotter pin. When you are sitting on the tractor it's so mch nicer to see that wheel perfectly revolving around the axle and off the tractor it looks so much heavier than before. I'm sure these little things meant big dollars in production but it sure makes for a nice end result.

post-5559-0-67569800-1329090220_thumb.jp

post-5559-0-47433700-1329090345_thumb.jp

Trouty56

Very nice....I didn't know that about the 1" spindles for the 520 forward swept axle. Looks really nice!!!

Hydro

There are a ton of 520's out there with blown engines and not worth much. It's too bad Wheel Horse did not put that front end into other tractors. It would be a cost per unit thing but the 520 front end bolts right in as does the '91 and later gear reduction steering to a 300-400 series tractor. All I had to do was change and shorten the steering wheel shaft. The hubs I have were bought from an RS member who was thinking about putting an FEL on his 520.

Buckshot 1

I bought my tri-ribs 16-6.50x8 Firestones from Miller tire, 170.00$ including shipping. Nice 4ply tires. After having the lawn treads on and putting the tri-ribs on it is like having power steering. The only thing that irked me is, I though that Firestones were made in the USA. These were made in Vietman, being a Vietman Vet. that aggravated me. But other than that they are great tires.

bowtiebutler956

I used the 400x8 deestone tri ribs in mine, bought them for $40 a pair plus $15 shipping from tucker tire on ebay, and I love them.

post-6076-0-34953700-1329358727.jpg

• Like 2

AMC RULES

PM sent Bowtie.

wheelhorsekid

Do the rib tires steer better? What is the main reason to have them?

Bowtie, where did you get your back set of tires?

Thanks!