Sign in to follow this  
mdn1081

Post hole digger

mdn1081

Has anyone thought of building a post hole digger for a Wheel Horse? Possibly building off of a plow frame...

• Like 1

1maidenfan

Was just thinking about that today :eusa-think: Was wondering how I could make one for my D series tractor, it has the 3 point hitch and pto. All would really need is a 90* gearbox to trans fer the pto power to an auger bit. :huhs: Might have to sketch some thing up? :confusion-waiting:

:text-goodpost:

mdn1081

Well with the three point it would be much simpler. I was thinking front mount. It would be quite a bit of fab work. I was thinking I would probably have to run a hyd pump off of the pto. Maybe a project in the far future.

kpinnc

Nah, you've just got to get your "WH engineer cap" on! They could turn, twist, and roll V-belts in every possible direction to get what they wanted.

A reduction gear box would make it far easier though. Sounds like a cool idea for sure!

1maidenfan

Definately a "in the future" for me, I have my 18 auto torn apart rebuilding it, also building my own loader from scratch, going friday morning on a 10+ hour road trip to get another tractor and attachments, then saturday go on a 4 hr road trip for a parts tractor. Ya, in the future for sure.

Keep the thought going maybe it will happen. Good luck. Post pic's. drawings or sketches if ya make any.

refracman

In 72 and 73 WH did offer a hydraulic post hole digger for the GT14, Danuser made it for them.

1maidenfan

Wow , will have to google that. Maybe get a pic so I can figure out how to make one. Thanks for the info.

refracman

They also made them for Cubs and Deeres of that era. There is some recent pics on the net of the setup on a Cub I think.

edit: its a Bolens

Hodge71

One thing I'm not understanding guys....I thought our PTOs on the D series were 2000RPM. All 3 point attachments that I have found made today are for 540RPM PTOs. This would mean that we would be turning them at nearly 4 times their designed RPM if we ran them off of our PTO system. The only reason I'm saying is that now that I have a tractor with a rear PTO I have been looking for a PTO powered backup genset for the house. I havent had much luck because the different RPM designs. I would need to find what engine rpm puts out close to 540 rpm to the genset input. :eusa-think:

refracman

Deere used the 2000rpm pto for a while but most others used the 540rpm which is the standard today. You can make a reducer gear box, the design is fairly simple, Ive seen on other sites.

can whlvr

if you build one your self be SURE to incorperate a clutch that activates when you hit a rock,my skid steer has an auger(thats the way to drill holes)and it has that,other wise it could break,or toss the tractor till it breaks,good idea though,years ago i rented one that you towed and stood on it to operate,like a guiotene with a large hand crank to lower and raise,it was really cool and didnt break your back and got seat time towing it around

mdn1081

That is great that WH had one if it fits on the GT14 what other models whould it fit?

Brrly1

GT14

JamesBe1

Just to resurect an interesting thread, does anyone have the model number for a GT-14? I would like to look it up on toro and see if it has a post hole digger as an attachment. It might even be possible to track down a manual for the post-hole digger.

I'd sure like to know more about what 2k rpm attachments that Deere made. It kinda sux not having a lot of options as far as attachments. Like Jeff, I too would like to run a genset off my pto.

James

jdog_kustoms

i have some allied attachment litature send me a pm after the show and ill see if i cant scan and email you the info i have on them there was tons of differant attachments for our horses

SousaKerry

We had one on the farm made from the rear end of an old 30's ford. Was 3 point mount can't remember who made it but I am sure the company is long gone.

This weekend the local village idiot was drilling some holes with a bobcat attachment for new trailer peers in the park. He didn't call MISDIG and needless to say got a little close to the water main... THey had to shut off the water to the whole park Saturday for most of the day, now we are under a boil order. :angry-soapbox: