Sign in to follow this  
Prater

1993 Deere 320

Prater

Anyone have experience with the 1993 Deere 320 Hydro? I picked one up to do some trading. It has the Kawasaki water cooled 18HP motor. No deck or attachments. My brother was thinking of buying it but he needs a front or mid blade to keep his gravel drive in order and we cant find any good info on this model.

horsenut

I am currently in the middle of getting one running for a friend...he is 86 and bought one. They are ok but do NOT let that ignition module go bad they are super expensive and a real pain to troubleshoot. Lots of people love the JD line, in working on this one, I will never buy a 'garden' JD, nor will I ever recommend them to anyone...Just my $.02. I am sure there are plenty of folks happy with them but I am not one. The manuals are super expensive, the parts are expensive and the durability of the tractors is just not there...I hate to be sour grapes...but you asked!

Prater

No problem, thats the info I am looking at. Around here everyone has a Green mower. I figured I could flip it easily and dont have much tied up in it. It runs fine, a little smoke if you leave it at idle too long but it is a beast compared to the other tractors running around. All my neighbors borrow my 416 when they need some real work done though...

horsenut

That is good figurin...JD's always sell. I like a manufacturer that keeps free manuals online and the dealers are reasonable with people. Parts are readily available and they always have heavy duty tractors. The JD just doesn't provide that kind of 'service' to its customers...Quick story, After I diagnosed to the module I called the dealer since I couldn't find anything online as far as a schematic, the dealer said bring the tractor in...I asked how they were going to check it? He told me they would remove it and put it on a known good engine, the part is held on by 2 10mm screws and weighs 4ounces. I asked can I just bring the part in? No, they will not touch it ...and labor is $100 per hour. The part is $275. I thought perhaps I got a bad dealer so I called another one...same story. Ended up I bought a manual, and the schematics for it (the module) are not in the manual...go figure...NO JD's for me...

T-Mo

The 320 wasn't made that long, but it's a good tractor. The 320 were sort of different as it was in between the 318 and 3X5 series. The were made from 1992 to 1994, which was a short run for a JD as most of Deere's line is carried for several years. I'm thinking attachments from the older GT line will fit the 320 as it was sort of a variant of that line. The Kawasaki engines were great engines, but the earlier ones had plastic cam gears (Kawasaki has since replaced those with steel gears). Also Deere made a special agreement with Kawasaki on the engines and were made specifically for JD, hence a Kawasaki dealer won't recognize the engine model number or specs.

hm12460

That model and year does have the plastic camshaft gear. Maybe it has already been changed? They tend to fail at 750-1000 engine hours. Not too big a deal to fix, but expensive at the dealership.

Prater

Thanks for the info on the camshaft gear. Luckily I have a good budy that owns a repair shop and can get the Kawasaki parts if needed.

horsenut

Thanks for the info on the camshaft gear. Luckily I have a good budy that owns a repair shop and can get the Kawasaki parts if needed.

how much is the ignition module?

dobeleo

Do you know what Trans-Axle is in it? The Tuff-Torque Trans-Axles where standard in the newer Deere models (smaller tractors). Here is a link to their website:

www.tufftorque.com

Dan

Shorwood, Illinois

Prater

Dan, I believe its the tuff torque transaxle.

horsenut, Do you have the part number? I think there was a couple on ebay from the fd590v.

Prater

Here is a pic of my 320

IMG_2480.jpg

Rooster

Horsenut if Prater cannot help you I might be able to, I have a few racing buddies that work at Deere dealerships. One in Ohio actually. That one even owes me a favor :!:

• Like 1

T-Mo

Finding the part numbers at a Kawasaki dealer will not work - again, the Kawasaki engines used in Deere tractors are only specific to Deere. Some of the parts are interchangeable, but a Kawasaki dealer will not recognize the engine model number. You have to go to a JD dealer to get the right part.

Prater

My Buddy is actually a TORO dealer but he has some connections. He is in good with a few Deere guys. Is the part on this page by chance?

http://www.partstree.com/parts/?lc=kawasaki_engines&mn=FD590V-AS06+4+Stroke+Engine+FD590V&dn=99907-20170070

T-Mo,

do you know what serial numbers had the plastic gear?

Prater

My engine is the S00 series so I am assuming it has the plastic gear.

horsenut

yep that is the part $245...pretty close to the JD price of $278

Prater

There were a couple on ebay for under $70 buy it now prices. I think its under igniter on the search for the 285 or 320.

T-Mo

T-Mo,

do you know what serial numbers had the plastic gear?

I don't have the serial number break down in front of me, but basically any thing made before 1998 will have the plastic cam gear. It won't hurt the engine if the cam gear breaks, but the steel cam gear kit does cost a bit and the repair isn't too easy, but if you have fair mechanical skills you can do it. Here is a link to the repair on another Deere.

http://www.weekendfreedommachines.com/discus/messages/96042/142201.html?1171557792

WFM has been having some access problems, so if you can't get in the first time, keep trying.