Sign in to follow this  
Wheelhorse84

Weird Spark issue..

Wheelhorse84

So when I went to see this C-160 it would only start when you released the key. So when I got it home I took out the spark plug to see how the spark looked and low and behold while turning the engine over no spark, as soon as I left go of the key it had spark. This explains why it only would start when you let go of the key. The question is what causes this and how do I fix this problem.

pfrederi

I would guess your ignition switch may be bad. Check for continuity between the Battery terminal and the ignition terminal while you turn the key to start.

Wheelhorse84

There was a bad switch in it. I replaced it with one from another tractor and it still did it.

Raider10

:flags-wavegreatbritain: Hello from across the pond.

Sounds like the wires on back of switch may be wrong. If there is power to the coil when the ignition is on, but not when the key is turned to start then either the switch is faulty or the wires are on wrong. check to see which terminal stays live when the key is turned.

Hope this was helpfull. Ian. :greetings-waveyellow:

Wheelhorse84

Ian your the man, thank you the starter disengages when the motor starts like it suppose to and all is good. Thanks again

Raider10

Glad to be of assistance. Is it a resto project you are starting. :)

Wheelhorse84

It is gonna be a resto but first i wanna get everything in working order and together use it a little then rip it apart. Question, which wire should be hooked up to the tab that shuts down when you crank the key then has power when you stop cranking? The lights, or the other orange wire the i think got the regulator?

• Like 1

pfrederi

The lights should hook to the A (accessory terminal) hot only during run position, off during cranking. On a C series the regulator terminal (orange wire) will be connected both in run and start mode.

Wheelhorse84

thank you