Sign in to follow this  
Prater

Finally Started the 854 Resto

Prater

I finally started the teardown of the 854 after sitting for several years under my watch. If anyone remembers I had to search a mile or so of property to find what I could of this supposedely running wheelhorse...now its time.

The hood is already at a body shop having some welding repairs, I am striping her down to the frame. I still need a few parts but I am sure they will be found as I delve into the deep Wheelhorse Syndrome we all have.

Here she sits as I start this late evening on the project with a little help from my kiddo.

IMG_2472.jpg

And were I finally threw in the towel for the night.

IMG_2475.jpg

I am cursing a few roll pins, but overall everything came right apart. I had soaked most of the bolts with PB Blaster for a couple of years knowing that most of the bolts had not been touched for longer than I had taken breath. My strategy worked as every bolt has just popped loose with little effort. The only issues were a couple of screws that needed a little heat applied...now if the rollpins would give me the same courtesy I would have it all in the bin for the blaster.

whfan74

Looks like you got a great start on it for the first night. Good thinking with the PB Blaster ahead of time. I am sure your commitment to doing that definitely helped in your tear down tonight. Hang in there with the roll pins, they can give you fits from time to time. Going to put duals back on it after it is complete???

stevebo

Looking good. I have my sights on an 854. The one I am looking at I think will remain original but you never know... Keep the pics coming !!

AMC RULES

Great progress for one day's work Steve.

WHEEL HORSE BILL

Looks good steve.I'm also doing a c-121 same thing soak the bolts and now it's coming apart nice and easy

can't wait to see your project done. I would have taken pictures also but my camara broke over the holidays so I can't but hopfully i'll have a new camara soon to take pictures of father and son project a b-100 puller tractor.Good luck with your project looks good.

WHEEL HORSE BILL :USA:

Anglo Traction

Excellent project you have there Steve. When I see the variety of :wh: Tractors/Implements you have over there to work on, I am always a little envious..... Look forward to watching your progress.

Jake Kuhn

Looking forward to progress on this one!

Prater

Its been a while and I definately have a few other WH tractors that I use that need some care, but I hope to stay on track and get this one done. I am considering having the frame Rhino Lined in red. I dont think it will ever have to be touched up again after the lining is on. I have a couple other c and 3 series frames that I was thinking of having coated also. Anyone have any thoughts about that?

Prater

My kiddo and i worked a bit tonight. Just have a couple pins giving me problems. The roll pin holding the brake arm and that stuborn rear hitch pin. I am draining the rear end and will pull it off and onto the stand, then I can really work on that rear hitch removal without having to bend over so mutch.

IMG_2476.jpg

Rooster

Great Start for 1 nights work!

Lars

Good work so far keep it up

Kelly

Heat on the pins and buy roll pin punches, they help, as for the rino lining, I personally would not, grounds, engine not setting on the frame right, all the holes will need cleaned out, mating plate for the frame to trans will need it removed, ect.....

Prater

Thanks guys...

Kelly, I did think long and hard about that issue. I figured my main concern would be the frame to steering tower. The bullet liner that I use for my trailers is less than 1/16th and I figured it would help on a few holes that are worn. Its still in my head but I may just take it to a paint shop and have it painted in a bake oven. I just dont want to rattle can this one like I do my working tractors.

Prater

This is where I am now...

IMG_2477.jpg

This is my holdup...two drill bits and three roll pin punches broken(USA made tools). I have added heat, PB blaster and about everything else with no luck.

IMG_2478.jpg

Rollerman

Steven are you useing true roll pin punches or flat faced punches?

Roll pins can be stuborn....heat, penetrateing oil, & patience.

Prater

2 flat faced and one roll pin punch. I am patient, but this is becoming rediculous...

Rooster

Heat it with a torch until cherry red, then quench it in water. the roll pin and surrounding materials are different, the sudden drastic temp change will break the rust loose and you can press them out.

Rooster

Also, that roll pin is probably hardened. Without a carbide drill you probably won't ever drill it out.