Sign in to follow this  
smoreau

Deck ? do I sell, or do I rob parts.

smoreau

I have a real nice 42" rear discharge deck I got with my last 417A tractor and I have 2 48" decks that need spinals and other minor repairs. 1 48 is the older style with an very solid shell but wrong lift and D style spinals. the other 48" deck is newer and needs welding on the shell as it has rust holes in it and some bends in the shell. but has the right lift. The 42" deck is a model 78350 rear discharge. It is very solid and needs nothing. welding up patches and making necessary modifications to make the deck solid on the newer 48" deck is not a problem for me, just the spindal housings are rotted to the point that there is very little left of them. I need a 48" deck for my 96 520H and I would like to see what you guys think of robing parts from all 3 and making one good 48" deck, or selling the rear discharge deck and buying new spinal housings and bearings. So give me your best opinion.

Rollerman

Scott wish I would have known that when you visited.

I have a 48" deck here with good spindals, but the shell is to far gone to save....(by me).

smoreau

The reason I don't need the 42" rear discharge is I have a 42" side discharge with a blower going on that 417A that is like new that I got from Kelly last spring. The 42 doesn't fit the 520 with the wider rear tires, the gauge wheels rub the tires. So I have no real use for this one and would prefer the 48". between all 3 decks I could make one nice 48" deck and sell the shell on the 42 rear discharge, Or sell a very nice rear discharge deck that was a replacement in 2001 and buy the parts to fix up the 48" deck. I don't care ether way, just want a 48" deck.

Sparky

Hate to see a good deck (or anything else in good shape for that matter) parted out. If you realy dont see yourself ever using the 42RD then sell it off and get new spindles for the 48"er.

Just my opinion.

Mike..........

refracman

Why not drill holes in the good old style 48" to accept the the right hangers? The D style splindes when tightened correctly are great and if they do go bad the new style bolt right in.

The replacement shells use to come with both sets of holes.

Forest Road

I have a complete 48" hanger assembly available cheap! PM w/ an email address for pics, etc.

Don1977

Why not drill holes in the good old style 48" to accept the the right hangers? The D style splindes when tightened correctly are great and if they do go bad the new style bolt right in.

The replacement shells use to come with both sets of holes.

I agree with adapting the old style deck switch the lift bracket from the other 48" deck. The spindles from the 42 are the same and will bolt in. The double pulley is the only thing that is different between the 42 and 48. Save the out side roller brackets off the rusted deck if the other deck doesn't have them.

Jeremy Watson

Hi Scott, I do know where a 48" SD off a 518H is if interest. Send me a pm if you'd like.

Jeremy