Sign in to follow this  
RedMaine

416-8 for just grading?

RedMaine

I am fairly new to this forum, having bought a 20+ hr 520xi late 2011. I love it!! But as many commented, attachements are far and few between. I have a stone dust drive that needs constant grading, and have tried (unsuccessfully) to get the grader for the XI. I recently thought, why not get another tractor with a plow, just to grade the drive?? I am in touch with a 416-8 with a plow for under $1000, including single stage blower and mowing deck.

Will that machine, be capable to push (sand) with the plow? It is typically not more than a few inches to level. Also, anything I need to look for on this machine, it is a kohler? All help is of couse appreciated!!

RedMaine

dennist

They have both a single Kohler or a twin Onan. Yes it is more then capable IMO, but do you want it with the plow blade or the mid-mount grader blade?

Prater

I use my 416-8 and front blade to cut and push dirt in my backyard drainage ditch. I dont think it will have a problem with sand.

• Like 1

leeave96

I am fairly new to this forum, having bought a 20+ hr 520xi late 2011. I love it!! But as many commented, attachements are far and few between. I have a stone dust drive that needs constant grading, and have tried (unsuccessfully) to get the grader for the XI. I recently thought, why not get another tractor with a plow, just to grade the drive?? I am in touch with a 416-8 with a plow for under $1000, including single stage blower and mowing deck.

Will that machine, be capable to push (sand) with the plow? It is typically not more than a few inches to level. Also, anything I need to look for on this machine, it is a kohler? All help is of couse appreciated!!

RedMaine

Take a look-see at my post "Working the 520H" from a few days ago. I especially like the Kohler engines, though I have both the Kohler and Onans. There is also a grader blade, which I have one and am going to finish the work I started with my front blade. The snow blower works great too.

Good luck with your purchase.

The other Bill

• Like 1

Forest Road

I use a 50" grader blade with a 312-8. It has more than enough power. Our shared driveway is about a 1/2 mile. The snowplow is good for moving large amounts of fill. But doesn't compare for finish grading. I would recommend an 8 speed with manual lift and dial height knob for amazing results. Be sure to use the solid lift link as well. Good luck! Have fun!

• Like 2

Hydro

I use a 50" grader blade with a 312-8. It has more than enough power. Our shared driveway is about a 1/2 mile. The snowplow is good for moving large amounts of fill. But doesn't compare for finish grading. I would recommend an 8 speed with manual lift and dial height knob for amazing results. Be sure to use the solid lift link as well. Good luck! Have fun!

I would second that! :flags-canada:

• Like 1

RedMaine

I would second that! :flags-canada:

thanks for the feedback.. I am going to look at it this weekend.. sounds like a decent deal..

I would love to get a grader blade.. I am sure it will be easier getting for the 416, than my 520xi.. I also would prefer to keep the 520 set up for either blowing or mowing.. Have the 416 for plowing..

They have both a single Kohler or a twin Onan. Yes it is more then capable IMO, but do you want it with the plow blade or the mid-mount grader blade?

I would like a grader blade, but have looked for months (520XI) and missed getting one on this forum by a coin toss. Now I think it would be less hassle to get another tractor.. maybe it is the Wheel Horse disease.. :eusa-think:

Hydro

Whatever the excuse we all understand the validity. There is always a good reason for more than one Wheel Horse. The 8 speeds have tons of power regardless of HP. Just watch what you want to do. Hydros have their advantages but also need more power to operate. Forest Road sumed it up best especially with the dial height knob and the manual lift.

• Like 2

Hodge71

Theres always a reason to get another tractor.....just ask anyone on here. They're like Lays potato chips...betcha cant have just 1....

• Like 2

Challenger

Hello RedMaine,

I too am a 5xi owner. I've found some interesting garden tractor accessories at an online company named "DR Power". I'm considering purchasing their power grader which I will tow behind my 5xi to maintain my 1 mile, stone and dust driveway. Multiple tractors are fun but this grader tool might do a much better job than a blade.?

- Challenger

kpinnc

The 5xi tractors are awesome, and I too hope to own one someday. But to answer your question- ANY 300/400/500 series or C-series tractors (including B-80s and B100s) will have plenty of power for grading or pushing a plow. The gear reduction on these transmissions leaves plenty of torque even with as little as 8 hp. I have a friend who uses a 308-8 to grade his driveway (mostly gravel), with the 40-inch grader and he is very pleased with it. My 867 surprises the heck out of me every time I get on it. That little 8hp Kohler is pretty tough for what it is.

A 416-8 will have gobs of power for any attachment you can fit on it- so long as it runs OK. Go get it and join us in our sickness! :)

DoctorHfuhruhurr

I've found it easier for me to just get a tractor for each attachment especially since attachments seem to get heavier as I age.

• Like 2

dgoyette

I've found it easier for me to just get a tractor for each attachment especially since attachments seem to get heavier as I age.

This is I seem to approach the problem too! Since you are new to the forum a big welcome from another Southern Maine member (Portland Area)

• Like 1

Forest Road

Hello RedMaine,

I too am a 5xi owner. I've found some interesting garden tractor accessories at an online company named "DR Power". I'm considering purchasing their power grader which I will tow behind my 5xi to maintain my 1 mile, stone and dust driveway. Multiple tractors are fun but this grader tool might do a much better job than a blade.?

- Challenger

For anyone considering a DR grader I would suggest a Driveway Groomer w/ opt. riser plates, easily found on Google. Ive owned the larger version fir 5 years now. It works well behind my truck. With 6-12 Ags on my WH I find the tires dig in too much. I would definitely recommend the Jr groomer for use with a WH, it's 4' vs. 6' wide. There are too many turns in my driveway so the 50" grader is my favorite!

• Like 1

RedMaine

Hello RedMaine,

- Challenger

Nice, looked at their site and definitely would help. The bigger issue I have is I get significant wash out during heavy rain, and need something to spread out a several ton pile. Maybe I need tooth? Thanks!

This is I seem to approach the problem too! Since you are new to the forum a big welcome from another Southern Maine member (Portland Area)

Hey, thanks! I agree and nice to know someone is fairly close! Stop on down! Mark

RedMaine

Hello RedMaine,

- Challenger

Just checked it out, and looks like a great tool. Will it spread a pile with the plate? I need a few tons at a time.

For anyone considering a DR grader I would suggest a Driveway Groomer w/ opt. riser plates, easily found on Google. Ive owned the larger version fir 5 years now. It works well behind my truck. With 6-12 Ags on my WH I find the tires dig in too much. I would definitely recommend the Jr groomer for use with a WH, it's 4' vs. 6' wide. There are too many turns in my driveway so the 50" grader is my favorite!