Sign in to follow this  
68commando8

Another 520-H question ..... Shift lever

68commando8

I bought this tractor a couple of weeks ago and have yet to get it off the trailer. I've been sick with pneumonia and before that the weather was just too nasty. ANYWAY........ The problem is that the shifter knuckle is loose and pops off the little ball when you try to put it in the forward position. I have NO manuals for this machine. Is there an easy fix to this and where can I find a service manual for it? It is a 1995 mdl. Thanks!

Joe

dennist

I do not know if this is the "easy" fix you were looking for, but I once found one that someone had JB welded. I put a loader on that tractor before I even knew this had been done and it never bothered once the whole time I owned it(short time). The problem was if you wanted to change things later you would have to remove what you put on, or cut it off and replace it.

68commando8

Dadgum! I looked up the price of that dang speed control rod...............$154.00!! They sure knew what they had going on there. Ain't no way I'm paying that much for a 10" long metal rod with a swivel on the end of it. Legalized theft. There, just my 2c.

Joe

TT

Simple & cheap to repair.....

Verify the stud size (1/4", I think :scratchead: ) and buy a replacement ball joint: example

Do a little measuring, cut the bad end off of the control rod, and weld the new ball joint in place.

You could go one step further and center drill into the cut off end of the control rod so a threaded stud (cut the head off of a bolt) could be inserted & welded in place. The replacement ball joint could be screwed on and would be easy to replace in the future.

You follow me? :confusion-shrug:

68commando8

Simple & cheap to repair.....

Verify the stud size (1/4", I think :scratchead: ) and buy a replacement ball joint: example

Do a little measuring, cut the bad end off of the control rod, and weld the new ball joint in place.

You could go one step further and center drill into the cut off end of the control rod so a threaded stud (cut the head off of a bolt) could be inserted & welded in place. The replacement ball joint could be screwed on and would be easy to replace in the future.

You follow me? :confusion-shrug:

I'm pickin' up what you're layin' down! Never thought of doing it that way.

Thanks!

Joe