Sign in to follow this  
HorseFixer

Higher Speed, Efficient, Dependable Tractor

HorseFixer

Lets just say that you wanted to drive a tractor 200 miles. With this in mind you would want a tractor to be able to cruise at around 15 to 20 mph. You also would want the tractor to be pretty efficient on gas. The Tranny would need to be bullet proof and dependable. I would think it would need to have a Kohler. :whistle: Large Rear tires. Maybe a smaller pulley on the tranny. What Model of Wheel Horse would fit this bill? And what modifications to the engine pulleys ect would need to be done to make this trip? B)

I was also tossing an Idea around adding a oil resoivoir with a oil cooler and a 12v fan blowing on the head. What do you guys think any ideas for a small pump to circulate the oil?

Thanks

Duke

TT

DT062308020.jpg

B)B) :whistle:

kj4kicks

TT, yeah, E.

and at 15-20 mph, there should be plenty of air to keep it "COOL" B)

Buzz

B)

perry

i better not see you pull in at kellys on a wheel horse :whistle: .

what are you cooking up B)

Rollerman

Make mine an old B or C type tractor with a bent rim in back & a low tire in front...just so you stay awake.

Maybe even a hydro with the sloppy linkage that just falls into fast forward...be like cruise control that way.... B)

Or how about a Lawn Ranger with a military surplus twin cylinder engine, 8 speed trans with oversize drive pulley.....it's slowly comeing together. "snail smiley" Jason?

perry

oh ya, sweet pic TT B)

Nick

Just about any tractor should work. You might want better bearings in the front wheels. B)

This redneck racer I believe is the one my brother drove to work at a farm, around the country mile block, before he had a drivers license in the 70s. Looks like a 5 or 6" pulley on the engine. He says it could reach 20+ mph. He did however find that on a long fast downhill run things can lock up and throw you into a ditch. :whistle:

racetractor.jpg

HorseFixer

Well this idea that has been thought of would possibly have TV coverage and would give redsquare a pretty good plug and be sponsored by Wal~Mart with a well known charity in mind thanks to MJ. was hoping for a little better responce and technical advice but guess not. I will table the matter for now.

Cheers Duke

linen beige

DT062308020.jpg

B)B)B)

Duke said he only needs 15 to 20 mph. Wouldn't you get bored in second gear? B)

Duke, I thought the Amsoil would handle the heat. :whistle: (sorry, I couldn't resist.)

But seriously, if you plan on using a K series Kohler you could feed the cooler from the current oil drain hole and resupply the sump through the dipstick opening. Would a 12 volt parts washer pump move 30 weight? I wouldn't know where to find one, but I've seen references to electric oil pumps for performance cars. I don't think they're meant to carry the full load, just "pressurize" the oil system prior to startup. One would probably work fine on a small engine

HorseFixer

Rollerman

Duke I have nothing to add on this tech question other than K series engines in generators have probably ran 12 hrs before over & over again. :whistle:

I would think if the engines in good shape mechanically & running as it should you shouldn't have any problems.

I do beleive liquid cooled heads were offered for the K series too...marine applications possibly...don't have to much on that but have recalled seeing a part number. B)

Nick

Does the engine really need an oil cooling system. On a tractor or generator these engines are running under very heavy loads for long periods of time without problems. Adding things like pumps, oil lines and coolers might also add a chance for more failures.

But if you were to swap the old engine to a newer overhead valve unit for better fuel consumption and maybe cooler running you might also have the possibility of a factory installed oil cooling system. B)

How about a diesel engine that runs on fryer oil? The eco-Wheel Horse? :whistle:

WheelHorse_of_course

Hmmmm...so what's the straight story? B)

I would install a tachometer and would keep the RPM below 2800 which keeps you within the main part of the torque curve.

Triple check your point settings/timing! Tune her a bit richer than normal

Since grass/debris is probably not a concern you could modify the flywheel cover to something with bigger holes to increase air flow.

I would install an oil temperature gauge.

Then adjust the pulley sizes accordingly.

Needless to say, I would open up the tranny and examine it - if it is not perfect find another!

Use mostly engine braking, and install a new brake lining before you start.

Design the contest rules so that you are permitted to stop to refuel and makes sure you check the oil each time. People in dancathons are allows to stop to eat and p!ss so you should be permitted something similar.

Tires should be higher pressure than normal - you want your rolling friction as low as possible. Replace the front wheel bearing before you leave.

Wear a helmet and biker-type clothing.

We want the straight story on this if/when you do it !

CasualObserver

I'd be far less concerned about the engine over the tranny! Are the Uni-Drive bearings sufficient for this long term, higher speed use? I'm sure the ball axle bearings are, but what about all those needle bearings? They're mostly (if not all) Torringtons if I'm not mistaken. If they're not suitable for this task, I'd definitely rebuild the tranny with some that are before you even think about the attempt!

Oh... and you'll want one of these. B)

17566_lg.gif

HorseFixer

Stephen, Nick, WHOC, Jason Very Good Ideas!! And I Thank You For Them! I don't play! B) I am a very passionate person in what I believe in an in all that I do! Maybe too much! I give more of my self than I expect from others. There are people that take, and give nothing back! I'm not like that.

This project I am working on has the ability to do great things for this hobby it is all about promotion! And I am dedicated. The same for my wife MJ she is community involvement coordinator for Wal~Mart and has won may awards for her efforts. She has been on Nationwide TV Commercial for Wal~Mart and is a great organizer and promoter. What she doesn't think of I do. We are a dynamic duo. I guess this project is our way of giving back! That being said I still have some questions. And yes I will let you all know about this before it happens.

So what inexspensive trator would be good for higher speeds, bullet proof tranny, and have a good engine? I will need two of them.

Thanks For all your help! :whistle:

Duke

Nick

So far I believe we have been thinking garden tractors but a lawn tractor could be another way to go. The lawn mower racers use them and might have the detailed R&D plus technical advice your looking for. You might try http://www.letsmow.com/ or some of the other racing sites for information.

CasualObserver

I was just thinking the same thing. Didn't walmart do a promo a couple years ago with a guy riding a yardman across country? one of those ugly yellow and green wasp looking things? If I remember right, they had it set up to go about 25mph and the guy drove it coast to coast.

Stigian

Hmmmm...so what's the straight story? :banghead:

B):banghead:B)

Duke - hats off to you sir, charity work is a great thing to do B):whistle:

200 miles on a Wheel Horse sounds a great idea, only wish i could join you on the trip.

I trust the video will be posted for us all to see when it's done :banghead: B)

BPjunk

OK OK Duke,

Ya' need to have patinces and wait till I get home from work to answer these kind of questions. B)

1) 75-90 synthitic oil in the transmission

2) Use a two inch diameter drive pulley on the transmission

3) Use a six inch diameter on the engine output shaft.

4) Free flow the exhaust (i.e. tall stack away from your face)

5) Shim the front axle a few degrees for more caster for better sability at speeds.

6) Brakes set at .014 clearance for cooling and good braking perfomance.

7) Tighten clutch return spring (extra tension)

8) Needed horse power would depend on the tractor model and transmission used

a) round hood 7 to 8hp (three speed)

:whistle: 1965 to 1975 12 and up (six/eight speed)

c) 1976 and up 14 and up (eight speed)

9) Zero play in steering.

10) Front hubs cleaned out and all new grease, then grease every two to three hours driving time.

11) Turf tires front and rear.

12) Engine set at 3,600 RPMs, at the RPM the engine will stay cool but with the increased speed more horse power will be used so a more frequent oil change interval should be used.

We have gone through these ideas to have a Wheel Horse be able to enter the "tractorcades" around the county.

I have also thought about a "tractorcade" for the Wheel Horse Show BUT not through the back twisty roads going to the South Mountain Fairgrounds. I could get support if we have a "tractorcade" from the begining of the Gettysburg National Park enterence and drive East on RT 30 to the traffic circle in the center of Gettysburg . This route is about 2-1/2 miles long and I sure police protection could be aranged.

Wild Bill

wh500special

It doesn't quite have the speed you're looking for nor would it be easily modified to go faster, but a stock D250 will run 10-12 mph right out of the box. Certainly the engine can handle higher revs since it was an auto/industrial design.

dependability might be another issue though...but they are quiet, smooth, and ride nicely.

Steve

whlpny

Duke- There are a father and son team here in Mich from the Flint area that I met this spring at the Clio swap meet that have the set-up you are asking about. I'm sorry I don't know thier names or have contact info. They have built 2 tractors and told me that they do charity rides. The tractors run in the 30-35 mph range and are set up to go all day long. They have front fenders, all working lights including turn indicators. These guys were planning on driving them to PA to the show, but obviously they didnt make it. They were a very interesting pair of fellas, I wish I had gotten more info, never woulda dreamed somone else would want to do the same thing. The tractors looked to be made from C-series models. Sorry this is about all I can tell you.

- was a pleasure to meet you and your wife at PA!

Curmudgeon

20 mph for 12 hours? How second grade. You do realize those guys across the pond have 24 hour races where they sustain speeds well into the 30's don't you?

Stig?

HorseFixer

Thanks Guys keep all the info comming! B)

The video is about done and ready for upload I think its about 34 minutes long! :whistle: May Have To Split It Up!

Duke