Sign in to follow this  
NF-Tinman

520-H Drivetrain Problems?

NF-Tinman

I have a 1992 520-H Wheelhorse and while plowing snow today it appears that i have lost all forward and reverse controls. When I engage the lever to go either forward or reverse the tractor doesn't move. The brake assembly and all other parts in the rear move but I have no movement in the tires.I checked the oil and it appears fine.If it requires oil what type does it take?, as I may change this anyway.

Thanks in advance

zieg72

Is your drive belt still in tact?

TT

If you have an "assistant", have them watch the end of the axle at the center of the wheel hub. If the axle turns but the hub doesn't, the woodruff key that drives the hub has sheared.

If you're by yourself, draw a line straight across the face of the wheel hub and the end of the axle shaft. Briefly try to move the tractor under power and see if the line "moved".

Tranz oil is 10W-30 or 10W-40 motor oil. Don't forget the new filter. :handgestures-thumbup:

NF-Tinman

The drive belt appears to be in tact. I will have to remove my wheel weights so I can see the hub. It also appears to be a small amount of oil on the inside of the wheel around the rear axle on the same side as the brake controls. I may possibly have a seal that is leaking , but I don't think that is the cause of my problem. Thanks for the tips. Can i download a video to this site?

nylyon

You're best off putting the video on Youtube to photo bucket then adding a link here.