Sign in to follow this  
Paul D.

My version of the Rock Shaft

Paul D.

Well after looking at a few other members versions of the Rock Shaft I took what I had and made my own. I went at this at a slightly different angle than I had seen others make them. I started out with a 6" long piece of 1" dia. stock (a drop off a 1" DME core pin (Nice and HARD)). I turned the ends down to 7/8"dia. about 3/8" back on both ends. I then took 2 1" steel bushings and sandwiched between them a piece of 1/4" x 1 1/2" flat stock and welded it all together. Instead of having the shaft turn in bushings in the tractor frame the shaft locks into place between the frame and the bushings pivot the arm instead. I don't know if this is better or worse than anything else I have seen but it looks like it should serve my purpose just fine. What I am pondering is whether or not I really need to lock in the position of the arm on the shaft or would it be just fine to let it float on the shaft. Whatever implement I would have on it would keep it in alignment and when nothing is attached does it really matter if it floats on the shaft. If I need to lock it into place I could cut grooves in the shaft for retainer rings. I still need to put the holes in the arm for attaching to the cable and the chain but I want to put it into position so I can figure exactly where they need to be. Attached are some pics of what I've got so let me know what ya think. I am always looking for ways to make stuff better so any input ya have is appreciated.

image-6.jpg

image-7.jpgimage-8.jpgimage-10.jpgimage-9.jpg

sorekiwi

Nice! You could use a couple of shaft collars to keep the arm in place of the shaft. Easily adjustable, and you dont need to pull the shaft back out for machining of circlip grooves.

AMC RULES

Really nice work Paul.

TT

Nice work! Will you be securing the pivot shaft so it won't turn in the fender support?

I can measure the hole spacing on an OEM bellcrank if it will help. :confusion-shrug:

Paul D.

I would love the measurements for the hole spacings. When I install it it should be squeezed between the fender supports which should keep it from turning. The arm actually turns very easily on the shaft so I don't think it will be an issue.

zieg72

Nice piece of craftsmanship

• Like 1

TT

I would love the measurements for the hole spacings.

bellcrank002.jpg

Measurements are center to center: 4 1/8" from pivot shaft to the pin where the chain attaches and 6 1/4" to the cable trunnion.

Paul D.

I would love the measurements for the hole spacings.

bellcrank002.jpg

Measurements are center to center: 4 1/8" from pivot shaft to the pin where the chain attaches and 6 1/4" to the cable trunnion.

Thanks Terry

Paul D.

Can anyone unlock the mystery of how long that cable should be? Its for a C141 if that makes a difference I would assume it would

TT

The overall length of the cable I have is roughly 20 1/4" - not including the clevis. The clevis adds about another 1 3/4"

This illustrated parts list for the 85514 clevis hitch kit might help you too.

Paul D.

Thanks again Terry. I will get this thing whipped yet. I just can't get over how willing folks are to help here on the square :beer:

wh-jason

thanks for the great idea guys. mine isnt as nice as yours paul, but i think it will work just fine.

here is what i came up with today

a0fed84a.jpg

and installed

53015fe9.jpg

• Like 1

Paul D.

Should work great Jason!