Sign in to follow this  
dcgrealtor

Attaching 42" side discharge deck

dcgrealtor

I just bought a 1972 Wheel Horse Charger 12 with a 42" side discharge and rear leaf blower attached. When looking under the unit where the deck is attached to the tractor I see it only attached to the front (towards the front wheels) nothing attached to the rear. Isn't this deck supposed to be attached to the rear extension arm? Looks like there is a pin on the deck

that would attach to this arm. Am I right?

TT

No - the deck attaches to the mid-hitch on the tractor and is basically pulled along as you drive. The rear of the deck is supported by the gauge wheels/rollers.

A picture or two of the "extension arm" and "pin" you've mentioned will help identify and explain what you're seeing.

Don1977

There is an arm on the back of the deck for a rod that attaches down to the gauge wheel and rollers. The adjustment on this rod is used to level the deck.

TT

There is an arm on the back of the deck for a rod that attaches down to the gauge wheel and rollers. The adjustment on this rod is used to level the deck.

That would be correct for a newer deck, but a period-correct 5-1001 deck still uses the old-style mounting carriage with the deck drive belt tensioner located at the right mid-hitch plate area.

I guess the new question is what deck is on the tractor? :confusion-shrug:

dcgrealtor

I will send a picture. I assume it is a deck of the era of the tractor 1972. I will see what I can find out. Thanks!

Dave

dcgrealtor

This is the arm I am wondering about. Is this arm supposed to be attached to this bracket and pin? Or is it free floating? The arm and pin you are looking at is in the back of the mower deck. Thanks!

Dave

post-6105-0-72810300-1327876577_thumb.jp

post-6105-0-39718200-1327876634.jpg

post-6105-0-59746600-1327876770.jpg