Sign in to follow this  
gattonde

Wheel Weights on Duallies

gattonde

I purchased a set of dual wheel adaptors for use on my C-160. I presently have 50 lb weights on each wheel. What is the groups opininon on use of weights on duallies.

Thanks,

Dan Gatton

kj4kicks

Hi Dan, In addition to the extra weight of the duallies, and the greater tread width, you probably won't need the old weights.

just my $.02

Sparky

On my dual wheel tractor the inner tires are filled with fluid and the outer ones just air. I dont think having 50#s on the outside tire would be good for the rear axle seals/bearing.

Mike.............

TT

My first question would be why do you want/need duals?

If it's for less ground pressure / more floatation, then weight would defeat the purpose.

If you're after more stability, then weights wouldn't be a bad idea. You would have to be extremely cautious as to how and where you operate the tractor when using wider duals. One good hit to the outside tire will bend an axle quicker (because of the increased leverage) and supporting all the tractor weight on the outside tire by running up on an object should also be avoided. You shouldn't have that problem if you use your tractor they way it was intended, but it CAN happen. B)

Some increased wear to the outer axle bearings and seals is almost unavoidable with wheel weights or fluid-filled tires, regarless if the tractor has duals or not. I would side with Mike about placing the weight on the inside wheels when possible, especially when using the "through the wheel weight holes" dual adapters. They make it impossible to use standard wheel weights, but you could always close one side and pour them full of cement. :whistle:

rustbucket

the one thing i did when i dualied my jacobsen was to push the hubs till the where a hair away from the axle houseing that way if something is to tweak it wont tweak way way out of wack plus i only use the dualies on flat ground and make wide wide turns lol other wise getting in and out the side yard would tilt me slightly side ways and as TT says you dont want to tweak an axle.

gattonde

Thanks All for your advise. I won't put on the wheel weights. My property is flat so I shouldn't have any problems with keeping weight on all four tires.

I didn't mention it in my original text, but the reason I am installing the duallies is to add some stability to my tractor when the FEL is installed.

Dan Gatton

Stigian

Hiya Dan, and B) .

Installing duels will certainly make your 'orse feel a lot more stable.

I was amazed at the difference in stability when i put duels on my 312-8 B)

A thought on wheel weights, TT touched on the idea of filling the duel adapters with cement :whistle:

I made my wheel weights to act also as duel wheel adapters, they bolt through the wheel weight holes in both sets of wheels and are filled with cement B)

100_2815.jpg

Curmudgeon

The first time I installed duals, (ok you technical guys, cover your eyes) I got some long bolts and just sandwiched plastic encased, concrete weights between two wheels. (technical guys can uncover your eyes now)

Cheap, easy, and worked great!