Sign in to follow this  
wh-jason

5085 axle question

wh-jason

im in the process of restoring an 8 4 speed (1-0120) which i believe has the 5085 transaxle. this tractor came with 10" rear wheels. im going to replace the 10" wheels with 12" wheels, however the axles are too long. my plan is to cut the axles down to where the 12" wheels dont stick out too far, then cut new keyways in them. my question is, is there anything special, rare, or otherwise i should know about this model transaxle before i start "hacking" on it?

any opinion or comment is welcome.

jason

sorekiwi

Well, that transmission was only used on the 8hp-4 spd tractor and one of the Commando models, so I wouldnt think there would be too many around. But then again there isnt too much demand for them either.

Those long axles are actually what I used to do my early Ranger dual wheel conversion. I went to cut new keyways in the ends and found them as hard as hell. Destroyed a nearly new HSS keyseat cutter that had cut keyways in other axles without a problem. I didnt try a carbide cutter (because I didnt have $80 I wanted to spend on one!!). I ended up moving things the wheels around so I could use the factory keyways.

I dont know for sure, but I suspect that the early axles had different heat treatment from later ones. I have cut keyways in post '73 axles with no problems, but have had problems trying to cut some 60's era axles. A file confirms that the axles I had problems with were pretty damn hard. :scratchead:

I'd be tempted to find another set of (short) axles, or another transmission instead of cutting yours down.

wh-jason

Well sorekiwi, that's kinda what I thought I would hear. I have a set of wheels for a cub cadet that have a different offset and are actually pretty close to the correct spacing. However they just don't look right. I've got some thinking to do.

(null)

racinfool40

If ye decide to go with shorter axles let me know..I have a few sets layin around..If you have an Idea How much shorter you want to go also let me know and I can check to see if I have them close to what you are needing. I have a set of long axles, so i can compare what you are after.....MIKE

stevasaurus

Mike...that trans you got from me is a 5085. I want to say the axles measure like 10 5/8"...probably about an 1" difference between that and the uni-drive axles. Either way, the uni-drive axles will fit into the 5085 transmission. The difference was a longer hub on the 5085 to facillitate the deeper rims on the comandos. Hope that helps. :)

sorekiwi

I dont remember the length of the normal 1" axles, but this is a set of the long ones:

IMG_2702.jpg

I'm thinking they were 2 1/2" longer. Tomorrow after work I'll hunt out my notes and check that dimension.

Almost forgot, the swap was simple I just changed axles and used the ranger (4 pinion) diff.

racinfool40

Yea as Mike(sorekiwi) said that's what makes these tranny's great there are so many possibilities by mixing parts to suit your needs!!! alot of the parts will inter-change :scratchead:

wh-jason

Thanks for everyone's input. I think I'm gonna use the cub wheels for now, then maybe change the trans later.

(null)