Sign in to follow this  
Jeremy Watson

snow blower upgrade

Jeremy Watson

Last week i was able to upgrade my single stage snow blower with a nice tall chute. I traded a guy a Toro walk behing 2stage 524 my short chute for his tall chute. The walk behind needed carb and transmision work, I got it for free when i tore down a yard shed it was hiding in.

BeforeIMG_20111021_135447.jpg

TradeIMG_20110929_162028.jpg

AfterIMG_20120125_112933.jpg

IMG_20120125_112950.jpg

IMG_20120125_113029.jpg

Also would like to say thank you to Scott for the great new hitch! Might be pulling a trailer around before I use the snow blower the way this winter is going. Either way I win.

IMG_20120125_112917.jpg

IMG_20120125_112900.jpg

Jeremy

Sparky

Thats a good trade. I was shocked at how much farther a tall chute throws the snow compared to a short chute.

Mike........

bk-scouter

The whole thing looks great from both the front AND the rear .

-BK

varosd

looks super! Will start looking for a same setup. was the tall chute the only option on the walk behinds?

Kelly

I think you did very well trading a free walk behind for a tall shoot blower, can't beat that deal.

TT

I did the same thing to mine about 3 1/2 years ago:

http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/index.php/topic/6860-conversion/

@Don: the tall, geared-rotator chute was found on the tractor-mounted (M/N 79360 & a few others) throwers.

@Kelly: the way I'm reading it, Jeremy traded his walk-behind blower and the old short chute off of his thrower for the long chute assembly.

Wyattrrp

Jeremy ya might want to think about making a high chute "cover" or shield I made for mine. Later models of the high chute have a sheet metal upright cover or shield in front of the lower part of the Chute. Look at other postys ehre with photos of later model high chutes they allo have a front cover. But they came with the high chute attached to the 2 side bolts that hold the chute to the base gear ring. I had that "V" wire guard in front of the tall chute you show in the photos and when I turned half right or left with wind in your face, blowing fluffy snow, 10% of the snow blows out the front of the high chute vertical and blows back onto the drivers face ! The chute cover does a much better job of forcing almost all of the light snow up to the top of the high chute and out the direction of the angled chute. I agree the high chute does make the single stage throw the snow quite a bit farther.

I wish I knew how to add a link here to other posts. But look for my post on this Implements section on High Chute Cover question. I give dimensions on cutting and bending the "cover" in front of the chute to stop most of the blowby in powder snow and you can remove mine with 2 wing nuts in case of heavy wet snow to avoid more chute blockage by the slushy snow. Only $7 for making 2 of these covers!

I like those wide tires on the rear, are they standard on a 520 or special wider wheels and tires?

Wyattrrp

rexman72

thats probably my problem is i dont think the short chute shoots the snow that far.

Thats a good trade. I was shocked at how much farther a tall chute throws the snow compared to a short chute.

Mike........

MaineDad

That's a great setup! I will get to use my tall chute later tonight. 8-12 inches expected up here, maybe more!