Sign in to follow this  
jachady

New modification to the snowblower

jachady

So last year I had one of these,

IMG00242-1.jpg

but I had to sell it for some quick money. I already had a smaller short chute snowblower so I wasn't completely without snow removal equipment. But I really like the looks of that tall chute, plus I heard they help throw the snow better on the single stages. I found a blower on CL with the tall chute and the geared chute control so I bought it for $100. It turned out to be for a vertical shaft tractor but it looked like the chute would transfer. So I took them both apart and started modifying. the tall chute looks so much better, but the chute control rod gave me a little hangup.

IMAG0263.jpg

If I ran the rod through the slot already in the cab,

IMAG0260.jpg

the angles weren't right at all. The knuckle was too close to the belt, the rod hit the PTO bell and the rod was to far away to use the custom bracket I made.

IMAG0261.jpg

IMAG0262.jpg

So I am going to have to poke a hole thruogh the cab to run the shaft. It will allow the bracket to go just above the PTO lever and just run above the PTO bell. It looks like all my clearances will be good.

IMAG0264.jpg

I will have to modify my bracket to clear the hood and the PTO handle. I'll get some more pics once it's painted up.

Kelly

Nice upgrade, I know a couple people have done the same, I need to make my shoot rod longer mine does not make it inside the cab, on another not you sold the 2 stage blower? part of it is still bolted to your tractor, hope the guy don't need that bracket??

jachady

Got the basics done. Cut up and ground down the bracket to clear the hood, cut a small hole in the cab and finished bolting down the chute.

IMAG0267.jpg

IMAG0268.jpg

Everything works smoothly. I tried out the chute and although it only seems to throw the snow a little farther, it its more controllable and the snow come out higher (of course) and makes it easier to get the snow over piles.

Some day I'll take it back apart and paint it, but for this winter it'll get a bit rusty. After it's proven its reliability, I plan on cutting off the old chute control. Just for the ease of starage. Otherwise I'd leave it on as a backup.

Kelly, as to the bracket, I thought it was just for a belt guard. Hope it isn't too necessary otherwise I'll try to get ahold of the guy I sold the blower to.

Kelly

The old shoot control parts should just bolt on, you can remove and store them with the old shoot, but I bet you never go back to the old style.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• mmmmmdonuts
      By mmmmmdonuts
      Tall Chute single stage snowblower. Has worm drive chute control. Has lift rod as well. Chute is currently detected for storage. 

• Theroundhousernr
      By Theroundhousernr
      Double post sorry, Please remove this one and leave other thread with pictures! Thanks moderators!
    • Theroundhousernr
      By Theroundhousernr
      So its been awhile for me to make a formal post. Been taking on more at work and just been so busy but i still check in from time to time. I have been thinking of ways to add electric chute rotation to the blower. Seen it all been done before but not much on the tall chute blowers. So I hope this isnt boring. 
        I wanted three things,
        -relability( no need to make a simple design turn into a failure , specially when your out blowing snow)
        -symplicity
        -little to no modification to the blower itself

Came across a surplus supply of gmc electric seat motors on Amazon for $15.00. Read reviews. Motor is reversable, can be taken apart to switch output shaft orientation (also meant machining of the shaft possible), and had a nice 1/4" hole mounting fixture. Figured if it lifts someones fat rump then it should be up to the task of spinning my chute. So i ordered it....

Again I didnt want to damage any orignal parts so I went to my local fabricator shop and picked up some 3/8 cold rolled steel. Which is the same thing wheel horse used for the shaft the worm is on. So now I must adapt this wierd non standard worm thread shaft from the seat motor to the 3/8 rod used for the worm drive on the blower. This envovled a good friend of mine and his lathe. Took a 3" by 1" round stock stainless and but it in his 3 jaw chuck. First drilled the 3/8 hole all the way threw. Left the piece in the chuck to hold center and drilled, I believe it was, 29/64 for the seat motor shaft to a depth of 1.5 inches. So now we have an adapter with the 3/8 hole 1.5 inch depth and a 29/64 hole with a 1.5 inch depth. Added a set screw for either side and that piece was done.

Now we put the seat motor shaft in the chuck and turned it to fit the hole with a slip fit of about .002 of an inch plus or minus. The joke was , we are not building a rocket ship to get to the moon but if any garden tractor could , it would be a wheel horse.... Wah WAh

Took my new fancy parts home with me to finish the rest. After careful measuring I cut the 3/8 stock down to size and drilled a hole for the role pin that holds the worm to the shaft. Next I cut my seat motor shaft down to size and ground a flat on the shaft for a firm place for the set screw to grab. Remember this is a threaded shaft not smooth. Shown in pictures below. My seat motor required disasemble anyway to swap the shaft to come out the other side for chute clearance. The motor is offset from the gearbox and it caused the motor to hit the chute when chute was rotated hard right. I assembled everything and all was left was to drill a 1/4" hole for mounting. Measured where I wanted the hole , drilled hole and used 1/4" threaded rod for a fasener and a few bolts.. 

I think it turned out great. I added a rubber cover out of rubber roofing to protect it from the weather. It has plenty of speed lock to lock on the blower. Should be reliable. Best part of all is it can be returned to a crank in minutes incase of failure and nothing original was damage to the blower itself but a 1/4" hole! Something yet to be determined are some kind of stops so to not tear up anything incase the motor gets stuck in drive or someone else uses it and doesnt realize. I will add pictures of the setup and video if I can to show speed of the chute. Also if anyway wants measurements, amp draw of motor, or any question feel free to ask. Might even make some more adapters if anyone is interested. Next post I will show will be how i wired everything. Hope you enjoy!

https://youtu.be/3Zsim1ihip0

https://youtu.be/9sUim0PQlOo