Sign in to follow this  
copperhead

Snow!

copperhead

Finally getting some snow here in southern New England…Probably about 4 inches so far…and it’s still coming down…but I couldn’t wait any longer to try out my B-80….I haven’t plowed snow with a tractor in about 35 years….That was on my fathers Cub Cadet…This was like being a kid all over again…Sorry no pictures…I didn’t have anyone around to take them…and I was having too much fun to try and setup a way to film anything…Maybe later today when I head back out for round 2…

The snow is the light fluffy stuff …however...I didn’t know what to expect as far as traction….I’ve got chains on it…but no wheel weights….While I may have a problem in the future with the heavier stuff…my B-80 past it’s first test with flying colors…She ran smooth as could be and never missed a beat….I was even able to move some pretty decent size piles I made with no effort whatsoever….I loved the plow angle lever…. something the CC didn’t have….and the blade lifting was a lot easier than I expected…In no time I was flying around the driveway and having a blast…Did I mention how much fun I had?…. :happy-bouncyred:

Today’s experience is one I was envisioning when I started thinking buying a Wheel Horse this past summer…This site and some of it’s members here played a big part in me being able to acheive it… :text-thankyouyellow:

Ron

fourwheels0

im still waiting for snow so i can go out and have some fun too.

but it looks like it may not happen here this year :banghead:

sorekiwi

Glad you are having fun with it! B-80's are a fun plow machine, they're only 2" shorter than a long frame tractor, but they feel so much more agile than the longer tractors.

I love the sound of the little 8hp bouncing on the governor, flat out in 3rd gear. Theres a 12 hp in mine this year, but I'm not convinced it needs the extra power for pushing snow around.

Mine has 2 link chains, turf tires and (I think) about 7 gallons of washer fluid in each rear tire, and seldom gets stuck when plowing. I still have the turf tires on the front, and that is the weak point of the tractor at the moment, I really need to put some tri ribs on the front.

stevebo

Ron- I am getting ready to go out as well right now. I will be using the 417 with 2 stage blower and cab. I figure I will do clean up when it stops snowing with the 400...

Sparky

Yep, lookin forward to some plowing time as well. It been snowing all day but its a light snow, maybe have 3"s right now.

Copperhead, where in New England are ya?

Mike..........

CTPATRIOT

Much more fun than cutting grass...

Jim_M

It came through here yesterday. We got about 6". I just got done clearing my driveway and the neighbors driveway a little bit ago with the little diesel 654. I always have to plow a section of the back yard too so the dog has somewhere to go. He's a miniature Dachshund and he'll hold it for 2 days before he'll walk through snow.

JoeMonag

Ron, glad to see you are enjoying your B-80. Had the 416-8 out yesterday with the 44" two stage to move our 4" of snow from my 400' driveway here in Norton, it was no problem, compared to the storms of last year. I also have my 310-8 set up with a dozer/snow blade. found it is good for moving the slush, that the blower won't pick up. Where in SE Ma are you?

Joe in Norton

Kelly

I've been out most of the morning, early afternoon plowing, we got about 5" semi fluffy, the 520 did even work, but I did have to thaw the throttle cable out with a hair drier, I think tomorrow it is coming off and getting dried right, I have cable ends off a bicycle cable they are rubber boots that fit the ends to keep dirt and water out, then just because, I fired up the loader to move piles, did a good job but Slooow the hyd. are not very fast when it's 15 deg. but I know it will do it if needed.

Will G

Used my C-111 with plow to do most of my driveway and it did pretty good moving almost a foot here. Still want to put my single stage blower on it though.

varosd

got finished cleaning using the B-80 with ST. I was debating on using the new snowblade but already had the ST hooked up and that clinched it. rain on monday Boo!

whc160

We got about 5" over night. It the 1st good snow we got here this year. Used the blade & the single stage blower. It was good to get outside & have some seat time.

copperhead

I’m down in Westbrook CT….I figure we got a good 8 inches total here….As CT folks know…..For a tiny state… the weather can be drastically different just a few miles away…

Good to here some of you were able to get out and have some fun too…Round 2 was a lot wetter and heavier….I started losing traction trying to push some of the deeper stuff…but the tractor still seemed like it had power to spare…I’m definitely gonna need to get some wheel weights…

After reading about throttle cable problems I checked mine….Looks like mine has the little end cap that seals it pretty well….I do need to make an adjustment on it though…When set a full throttle…I doubt the engine is even reaching ¾ of that…

If I didn’t have a gravel driveway I’d probably get a snow blower…Don…how do well does the snow blower perform on your B-80?…

post-5872-0-89777000-1327185149_thumb.jp

post-5872-0-04371000-1327185162_thumb.jp

post-5872-0-67117200-1327185174_thumb.jp

SALTYWRIGHT

WE GOT ABOUT 5 INCHES TODAY. I PLOWED WITH MY GT-14 AND A 54 INCH BLADE. IT WENT VERY WELL. RUSS

can whlvr

we didnt get much more than a dusting,i have a gravel drive and have throwers,and blades,i built skis for my throwers and they work great,as far as an 8 horse and a thrower?well im gonna get some flack on this but in my opinion 8 hp is too small,i have had an 8,and have a 10,12,14and 16hp tractors,if i have to choose for throwing its the 16,an 8 might do it but not for ever,and if you get a huge storm its gonna be hard to do it,ya it will work but i personally wouldnt do it,id get a bigger tractor with more ponies

Paul D.

I got home from work yesterday fired up the tractor filled up the flask and did my drive. And then 5 of the neighbors. It was a blast. The single stage did not disappoint.

jay in nc

i sure do miss plowing snow , or blowing snow when it got too deep but yesterday i mowed broomstraw grass in the goat pasture with the old raider 10. had a blast!

sorekiwi

I really need to put some tri ribs on the front.

You got me all inspired Ron, gave the old dog some new(er) front shoes...

IMG_3566.jpg

• Like 1

Ken B

It looks like your driveway is pretty darn long. In my opinion I agree with the guy that said an 8 hp is too small. I'm not saying it can't do it, in most cases it can. It would be one thing if you had a back up tractor with more hp too handle the heavier stuff. I thing with the size of your drive that little 8 would be overworked with a thrower.

Get some wheel weights and push the snow in 3rd gear as much as you can, the extra momentum in 3rd gear really helps to get the snow rolling.

WHwest8597

In Western Pennsylvania we got about 6 inches. I pulled out the 314-8 with plow and had some fun. The driveway goes up hill and is about 110 ft. long, so I put it in 1st gear and plowed out with ease. Neighbors with 4x4 quad had a harder time and had to get off their seat to adjust their blade.