Sign in to follow this  
persof

Noisy 42" RD deck???

persof

I have a 42"rear discharge mower deck, the tag on the deck says 42MR01-4155 and below that it says 6353. The spindles are non-grease-able and double D ends. This deck is "NOISY"!!! You can feel a strong vibration when you touch the deck. Other attachments do not have this issue. Tractor vibration without any attachments is no more that I would expect for a 12HP single cylinder engine.

Checked engine to frame bolts and they are tight. I checked the under deck baffle and it is tight. I removed the blades and did a meticulous balancing on them using care to ensure that they were installed correctly. I put a ruler against the underside of the deck and rotated the blades to verify no bent blades or shafts, looked "OK". All spindle bearings were replaced and the spindle housings repacked with fresh grease. I also replaced one of the spindle shafts. I replaced the idler tensioner shaft, bushings and spring. The tensioner spring vibrates alot?

I put a model airplane engine starter cone on a DeWalt 18V drill and spun each shaft and the idler (belt removed of course) and they were quiet as a mouse.

The center cast pulley was damaged at some point and if you spin it slowly there is a bump that I can feel with my finger, and when you pull the belt slowly there appears a recurring increase in tension. Is it possable that this pulley is the problem? Should I replace the center pulley ($86.00 "gulp")? Every thing else has been replaced.

Thanks

Francis

Sparky

Wheres the bump? Can it be filed down?

Mike.........

oldredrider

Sure, the pulley could be the problem, but it could also be the belt. I've seen them take a "set" after not being used for a while and cause your type of symtoms. A hard or cracked belt can cause a lot of vibration. Let us know what you find.

Don1977

I would file to rough place off the pulley as Sparky suggested and try that and check the belt, the pulley could have damaged the belt. If that does take care of it, remove the blades and with the base running hold a long screw driver on each bearing housing and put you ear next to the handle. It wiil take a 30" screw driver to do this, but you will hear

the bad bearing, you may be able to tell the bearing by holding it at the top and bottom of the housing, but I think it is the rough place on the pulley.

persof

The belt is new and I have swapped belts between this noisy deck and another one that is not. Any body got a spare pulley?

Thanks

Francis

SAM58

The bearings are one piece sealed bearings, check for sideways play. they can sound good until they are running at full speed.

The center pulleys are bad to come loose and vibrate, and sometimes break the center bolt.

If it is the Center pulley, Dave's Tractor World can help you at about half the price of a new one.

i HAVE REPLACED 6 OF THESE ON TWO DECKS

SPINDLE BEARINGS

http://www.rcpw.com/wheel-horse-bearings-bushings/3309.html

persof

All bearings have been replaced.

My DeWalt 18V drill will spin the blades at close to 2000 RPM without any noise.

Thanks

Francis