Sign in to follow this  
kj4kicks

C520 Update - Part 2

kj4kicks

Hi Guys, thought it would be better to start a new thread, since the other one was getting big.

Got the side panels and running boards blasted this week. Another $24 at the sand-blaster shop. Primed them yesterday, and just made them red about an hour ago.

While I was waiting for them to get back, I stuck the old hood decals on with magnets so I could get a feel for the layout. The new C-520 decals fit right where I wanted them to, just in front of the hood latches, on the newly widened part of the hood.

Also installed a new dual bulb taillight. The pep-boys one works fine, just had to drill a new hole in the plastic base to line up with the hole in the seat pan.

Hopefully everything will come together in the next few days, and I'll get more pics.

Eldon...with red fingers (darn dry skin)

nylyon

Not just the pictures, I am really looking forward to seeing the worlds first C-520 in person...

kj4kicks

Here's a sneak peak at the progress:

A FEL bucket makes a nice drying rack:

P1015100.JPG

The C-520 decal placement:

P1015102.JPG

Tonight I'm going to sand the side panels. There's a small run in the drive belt cover. Might have to buff those, too. Aww shucks!

Eldon.

nylyon

Eldon, I think that you should stop doing this, you're actually painting yourself into a corner. Sure, it is looking great, but here's the problem. You're never going to be able to use this now. Think about it, when you're done are you really going to go digging in the dirt with this? I'll bet that you even have thoughts about painting that bucket too, don't cha?

Looking good!!!

kj4kicks

Funny you should say that. My wife came out to the garage the other day, and said "you're going to show this thing, aren't you?"

Well, of course I am, but it's still a worker. I don't expect it to win anything, I just build them for me, and to share ideas with others.

This winter, it will be clearing the plowed snow from the end of the driveway, unless the new-to-me (1968 model year) blower on the 160 can take care of it. Next year, it will still play in the dirt.

Somebody painted the whole FEL somewhere along the line, and of course, EVERYTHING is red. So to do it right, all of the hydraulic lines and metal tubes would need to come off, and be stripped of the paint. Most likely that would mean replaceing ALL of the hoses. I could see that running $400-500 alone, easily.

Before you think of it Karl, I was checking out Mith's creations. Building a forklift to swap out with the bucket could be a fairly easy project. Four pins, and it would be swapped!

Hmmmmm......

Eldon.... drawing it up in my head already!

nylyon

Ah, but did you notice his Back Hoe project? :D

T-Mo

My wife came out to the garage the other day, and said "you're going to show this thing, aren't you?"

Man, I wish my wife would casually ask a question like that! :D Mine would say "You're NOT going to the show!" :P

kj4kicks

Hey Guys, here it is, assembled! We had a beautiful day Wednesday, so I had a chance to take it outside for pics. Here are a couple:

P1045116.JPG

P1045119.JPG

The rest can be seen at :

individual pics

or:

ms Word doc

All I still need are the hood decals, and some snow!

Have a great weekend.

Eldon.

Greg B.

Eldon,

That pony rocks!

Greg B.

nylyon

Oh my! I'm speechless, and envious :D That is the nicest C-520 I have ever seen.

refracman

Eldon, job WELL done, now all you have to do is bring yourself to put'er to work :D

Steve

Rollerman

Eldon looks great, your gonna have a lot of fun with that...especially at PA!

Stephen in northern IN

kpinnc

Very impressive work Eldon- that thing is gonna generate some coversation for sure at the show.

Beautiful Work!

Kevin

kj4kicks

Thanks for the comps, guys. Actually, I can't wait to put it to work. Problem is, we're between seasons right now. Too cold to play in the dirt, too warm to snow!

Eldon.

PS. Anybody have an NOS (or mint condition) hood ornament for sale?

Rollerman

Eldon have you seen the horse head hood ornaments on ebay?

Same guy that makes a lot of reproduction plastic parts.

They are made of styrene plastic (spelling) but painted up look very cool.

I will try & get a picture up today.

Stephen in northern IN

kj4kicks

I've seen the horse heads, but I am looking for the original style one. I don't mind if it's plastic, but it needs to be chrome :D

Thanks for the info!

Eldon.

kj4kicks

Here are the pins that I came up with for the "quick-change" mode. (not that I will ever swap hoods, but just that I could).

P1155168.JPG

Eldon.