Sign in to follow this  
Electro12WH

Chute Cable

Electro12WH

I installed a new chute rotator cable on my snowblower this summer. I used a plastic coated wire cable. Today is the first time I used it and it didn't take very long before it broke. It broke where it passes through the rotator crank. Apparently, rotating from left to right causes it to break. Did I install it wrong or did I use the wrong cable?

rmaynard

Since I have had no experience with snow throwers other than what I am learning while rebuilding a 6-6214, I would venture to say that you do not have enough turns of cable on the crank. When you are getting to the end of the travel, the cable is bending or flexing at the pass-through hole and eventually breaking. If you add one more turn in each direction, and keep the cable snug, it will always stay wrapped around the crank or spool, preventing the sharp bending at the hole.

I hope others will chime in with their ideas.

Electro12WH

Good idea! What do you folks use for cable?

rmaynard

I just picked up some plastic coated cable at Home Depot this afternoon. I have heard of others using string trimmer line.

can whlvr

so i am trying out the trimmer line for the first time,heard about it here,ive used thin aircraft cable and it only lasts a couple seasons,we havnt had much snow so it hasnt been used much but it does turn nice,time will tell but i like it so far