Sign in to follow this  
jbest123

How are the gas tank straps attached to the hood on a suburban

jbest123

The jerk that owned the tractor before me put two sheet metal screws through the hood and into the gas tank. I would like to patch those holes and mount the tank as it should be. Any photos would be great. Thanks John

PA210002.jpg

new2horses

John, Those straps were spot welded to the hood. Since you already have holes just weld the straps back in place. that would solve the problem of the holes and get the tank mounts back in business. The tank is another matter. My advise is to secure another one, some may advise welding or soldering the holes shut. Good Luck, and welcome. David

Rollerman

John the straps are tack welded right in the location the two screw have been added in your picture.

It's pretty common to see the fuel tanks rigged up on the early mid engine round hoods.

A little weather, some rusting, weight of the fuel & the tack welds holding up the fuel tank would fail.

jbest123

Do you think this would work? Install 1" angle (yellow lines) and cradle the gas tank (red lines) between the angles and use neoprene between the tank and angles. Then use SS hose clamps to hold the tank in place. John

c.jpg

rwilson

That would work john. I need to find a way to fasten the tank back into my400.

speedyleedy

I mig welded my straps back on my 551 but before i welded them i drill a hole at each end & tack 1/4 20 bolt and ground the heads off flush with the strap, so i could bolt the straps around the tank to it. I tkink it should work alrite ? I had to make new straps for around the tank too, what ever you decide i hope you have good luck with it. :eusa-think: