Sign in to follow this  
dunk50

416-H axle capacity

dunk50

OK, I have a 416-H and drained the rear axle / transmission. I put 2 quarts of gear oil in. The dip stick it very difficult to read but my guess is it's still low. What is it supposed to take.

nylyon

You're going to have to drain out the gear oil and replace it with 10w-30 or 10w-40 engine oil. It will take about 5 quarts with the filter change.

dunk50

I was afraid of something like that. I read about the 80 90 weight gear oil somewhere but it was probably for a 416-8 or???? Your saying this transmission uses engine oil. Well, last question, will the 10 W 30 mobile one full synthetic be OK or would you recommend regular oil. I have the original owners manual and it doesn't say squat. Bottom line, what should I put in it???

nylyon

The 8-Speeds take the 90W gear oil, where as the hydros take regular engine oil 10w-30 / 10w-40. I have not used Mobil 1 in my hydro only regular old dino oils, but I think that the Mobil 1 would be perfect in the hydro because of the properties of the synthetic. Either way, get the gear oil out of there and put in engine oil. If you didn't change the filter, you should. These filters do not bypass when clogged and will affect the performance of the trans. The recommendation I think is 100 hours or every year. Hope this helps.

dunk50

I am clear and thank you but now I have to ask one more. I don't have a WH dealer close. Is the filter anything I can get at PEPBOYS or Advance.

kj4kicks

If you're going to run it in the winter, use 10-30. That's also a good summer weight, unless you're running it hard in 90+ heat for an extended period. Then I would go for the 10-40.

Eldon.

nylyon

I have only used the Toro filter, but I have the Napa references:

Engine Oil Filter : NN10143 or Onan 122-0800 Napa # 1762

Trans Filter : 79-5270 Napa # 1521

There may be other cross references. If you have a Toro dealer near you, they can order any of your WH parts you may need.

dunk50

As I said, I have the original owners manual. i have checked it very closely and it appears they gave the original owner the wrong manual as it only covers the manual 8 speed and not the Hydro. I can't even find what filter I need for the trans. Any help?

Got it and thank you very much. I will have to change the oil and fix that tomorrow. I do appreciate you and this site.

nylyon

You may be able to download the Owners manual from the Toro site (see links section), if not I can send you my 416-H (1994) manual to you which will be very close (not exact though) to yours.

dunk50

Thanks for your help but I think I can download it form the toro links site. if in the event i can't I kniw where to find you. And thanks again :D