Sign in to follow this  
massey

Added some shiney stuff to the 160

massey

A while back I had some zinc plating done so I also sent along a bunch of other parts to be plated also. I finally got around to installing some of them.

So out with the old

008-7.jpg

And in with the new

002-15.jpg

006-9.jpg

007-7.jpg

I also added some more of Terrys decals

009-4.jpg

I love working on these things.

• Like 2

AMC RULES

The bling looks great. Mind if I ask the cost involved? :thanks:

rmaynard

Looks terrific. In my area, they want about $250 to do that much zinc plating. What did you pay to have yours done?

Kelly

Looks terrific. In my area, they want about $250 to do that much zinc plating. What did you pay to have yours done?

WOW I can get that much done for about $50 small stuff that will fit your palm, nuts, clips, small brackets ect.... they will do 75 lbs for $50 I'm blasting a bunch this winter to have done sometime, after blasting I drop the stuff in a pail of old half open bottles of oil I poured in a pail, they run it through a degreaser, they told me to do it that way, just dump the oil first he told me, LOL.

rmaynard

WOW I can get that much done for about $50 small stuff that will fit your palm, nuts, clips, small brackets ect.... they will do 75 lbs for $50 I'm blasting a bunch this winter to have done sometime, after blasting I drop the stuff in a pail of old half open bottles of oil I poured in a pail, they run it through a degreaser, they told me to do it that way, just dump the oil first he told me, LOL.

There are no small jobs shops around. Everybody wants 100lbs or more. I figure that they are charging me an inconvenience fee. :handgestures-thumbdown: My powder coater now has a satin-finish zinc color that he can do in either clear bright or gold toned. That's the route I'm taking on the Commando.

Sparky

How well does this stuff hold up to heat?

Mike.........

Kelly

The zinc plating I believe is the same as the factory used, as for heat, I can tell you I had a muffler done, the guy did it no charge but it stunk bad and lasted about a hour, but I figured what the heck it was free, I just need to blast and paint it now.

massey

The parts encircled below were done by the "barrel plating" process which is cheaper but can only be done to small parts. These weighed about 9lbs and cost $35, plus shipping to and from Iowa. The other parts had to be "rack plated" . These weighed about 40lbs and cost $150 plus about $47 each way to Ca and back. Bob, I know there has to be an economical plater in our area but I haven't found one yet either. But I would rather have a face to face meeting with them than a long distance one only, shipping really kills the deal and if you run into problems you can physically go to them and find a solution. If I find a local one, I'll let you know.

Ed

post-2676-0-08782400-1325889148.jpg

rmaynard

How well does this stuff hold up to heat?

Mike.........

Are you asking about the zinc or the powder-coat? My neighbor had his K321 head done with high temperature powder coat, and so far it has not discolored.

If I find a local one, I'll let you know.

Ed

Thanks. That would be great. In the meantime, I am going with powder coat.

Trouty56

It looks great Ed. That is one nice 160!!!

rexman72

very sharp looking

Jake Kuhn

Looks great! :handgestures-thumbup:

Hydro

Still Curious...love what you've done...saw the gallery pics....where's the Mud? :teasing-poke:

massey

There shall be no photographic evidence......yet.....

Martin

How well does this stuff hold up to heat? Mike.........
Are you asking about the zinc or the powder-coat? My neighbor had his K321 head done with high temperature powder coat, and so far it has not discolored.
If I find a local one, I'll let you know. Ed
Thanks. That would be great. In the meantime, I am going with powder coat.

most of the high temp powders available are good in the 500-700 degree range. we had some high temp stuff that we had to strip and the burn ovens wouldnt touch it. they run 800-850 degrees.normal powder coat turns to ash at 800 but is good in the 200-250 degree range all day long, with occasional up in the 300s. i just did my second kohler in standard powder so i guess we will see how long it holds up. on the 1054 i only used the valspar resto paint and thats holding fine, so im sure the powder will have no problem exceeding that.

EdG.

There are no small jobs shops around. Everybody wants 100lbs or more. I figure that they are charging me an inconvenience fee. :handgestures-thumbdown: My powder coater now has a satin-finish zinc color that he can do in either clear bright or gold toned. That's the route I'm taking on the Commando.

rmaynard ~ Could you get any details from your powder coat guy as to what kind of satin-finish zinc color (bright or gold) powder he is using? I do some of my own powder coating at home and would be interested in where to get this color of powder paint.

rmaynard

I will try to get in touch with him this weekend. He does the powder coating as a sideline, and he is hard to make contact with at times. Not only does he have a full time job, but he farms as well. When he's not doing that, he is trying to get a little family time. I left a message for him to let me know what he uses for "linen beige", and I am still waiting. I will get back to you.

HorseFixer

Yep never hurts to add a little razamataz to these ole girls. :bow-blue: And spruce um up a bit.... :thumbs:

~Duke

rmaynard

rmaynard ~ Could you get any details from your powder coat guy as to what kind of satin-finish zinc color (bright or gold) powder he is using? I do some of my own powder coating at home and would be interested in where to get this color of powder paint.

At long last I finally got the info. The color he used for the zinc is White Aluminum, RAL 9006. The color for the Linen Beige rims is called Oyster White, RAL 1013.

608KEB

Looks really nice. On my B-80 worker I used a dremel drill with metal polishing bits. It came out really nice....but I don't know how long it will remain shiny.

Wheel-N-It

I agree with Craig. I love the " Bling"