Sign in to follow this  
Hammerhead

Rare NOS 1958-59, 60 Lbs. Stud. Front Weight still in the box!

Hammerhead

Hello to all, been off this site for months, glad to be back! I found and bought this super rare NOS 1958-59 Wheel Horse Stud. Front Weight, 60 Lbs worth of rare WH History! It came in the original box that was shipped from the maker, to WH Factory and then reshipped in the same box to the dealer who sold it to me! I tried posting a few pics of the box but the file was too big, go figure. This just hangs by 90 degree threaded studs(Stud. Front Weight)on the front axle of the early WH's with the straight axle. Great find on this baby! How's it look? Hammerhead

post-114-0-29253600-1325215264_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

AMC RULES

AWESOME! :bow-blue:

• Like 1

wallfish

That is one sweet find!

I never saw one of these and never knew they even existed.

stevebo

First time I have ever seen this type of weight. Very cool ..

fireman

There was one of these on Ebay a few weeks ago. If i'm not mistaken the seller ended the auction early.

Hammerhead

That was the one I got from Ebayville. Had to outbid everybody else, it went for $285 plus $40 or so to ship it. Not too bad considering it is NOS and I had never seen one before! It sat in the guys inventory all them years! Good scarfing material. I did see one in the Redsquare gallery pics, it was painted white and mounted on an RJ58.....KJ

• Like 1

rj35hunter

Wow, that is really something! Glad it got into good hands. :):bow-blue:

varosd

I like the box label WHEEL HORSE is big bold letters!!!

AMC RULES

Can we get a close up pict of the decal on the front of it please? :thanks:

buckrancher

That was the one I got from Ebayville. Had to outbid everybody else, it went for $285 plus $40 or so to ship it. Not too bad considering it is NOS and I had never seen one before! It sat in the guys inventory all them years! Good scarfing material. I did see one in the Redsquare gallery pics, it was painted white and mounted on an RJ58.....KJ

must be the one I have

100_4516-2.jpg

Brian

buckrancher

Hammerhead was there a part number on the box?

Brian

speedyleedy

0nce again hammerhead you are the king great scarf !!!

Jake Kuhn

Wow that is one cool find,Jake

JC 1965

WOW!! That's great, It's the first one I've ever seen. I didn't know they made them. Glad to see you got it. I know it won't just lay out in a field somewhere and rust. Way to go! :thumbs2:

WH Raider10

Awesome find! :eek: :)

Hammerhead

This is the 2nd shipping label. It is from Wheel Horse Products Inc. They received it from the maker, and then WH shipped it to Rock City Machine Co. which was a WH Dealer from 1958 up to recently. The seller didn't know what year this was but I figured out what it was and when it was made. The only clue I had was the stud brackets, they just hang on the front axle of the early Horses. There is a knotch cast into the bottom to go around the front axle castle nut too. The seller had the studs installed upside down so it took me awhile to figure all of this out. It first showed up on paper in the 1958 -59 Master Parts Catalogue. Seems to be made only a year or 2, after that there is no mention of it on any of my expansive WH literature collection.

I can only figure out how to post one pic at a time, seems you have to shrink the pics down to fit this site? The other site took forever to figure out how to post pics and now I'll have to figure it out again,dang it.

post-114-0-08858300-1325292720_thumb.jpg

Hammerhead

Here's the original maker of this 60 pounder! They made it and shipped it to the WH Factory and then they shipped it out to the Dealer afore mentioned. Cool to get all the stickers on this old box. I wonder if the makers company is still around? I didn't see any part numbers on it but I have a number from the 1958 Master Parts Cat. It says Part# 3493 Stud. Front Weight 60 lbs. There is another front weight right above this one in the Cat. it is Part # 3492 FW-60 and that is the more common front weight, probably the one with the handle on the top so you can lift it on and off of the front mounting bracket. The other style of front weight doesn't have the handle and that is the newer style and the one with the handle is the older version. My 753 Dually W Horse has the newer style FW60 without the handle. Am I rambling here or what...What can I say, I am a WH Nut! I love finding this old stuff and the paperwork to back it up.....KJ

post-114-0-04352600-1325293592_thumb.jpg

hounddoghundzsa

Hammerhead did you get the reel mower going yet?

Hammerhead

Here's the studs and how it hangs on the straight axle. Doesn't really seem safe by todays standards but I doubt if you can pop a wheelie with this hawg on the front! If you had calcium in the front wheels, add another 50lbs. What a tank....Hammerhead

post-114-0-36188700-1325294968_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Sparky

Thats all that keeps it in place :scratchead: ? I realize its heavy and all, and I understand gravity, but I expected it would have been more secure than that.

Mike..........

shallowwatersailor

Awesome find! I suppose the philosophy was K.I.S.S. for mounting.

buckrancher

Thats all that keeps it in place :scratchead: ? I realize its heavy and all, and I understand gravity, but I expected it would have been more secure than that.

Mike..........

Mike it can't shift side ways as there is a cast in relief for the front axle nut

the one I have the po's father modified it by cutting the 90 off the threaded hangers and welding a piece of 1/2"x1/2"

bar stock

100_4510-1.jpg

Brian