Sign in to follow this  
ol550

project 'SNOW CHUCKER jr'

ol550

Got this snowblower on $pay some time back from one of the members here

on the sguare. Was rather upset that there was no gear box with it, but that

is just my luck. Am not 100% sure what model it realy is as the drive is on the

right hand side, All I have been able to find have the drive on the left.

I have titled this SNOW CHUCKER jr. so it would not be confused with the

Duke's original snow chucker. The jr. version will not be able to clear 15 foot

drifts in a single pass, nor will it have deer blinding and traffic stopping lights.

NO heated cab, no electric windshield wiper, and no in cab controls. As for as

that goes, no cab.

HPIM1102.jpg,

What it will have is the remains of a C-81 for power plant and 8 speed transmissiom

for speed control. The electric will be for starting and maybe a small light for

dark blowing conditions. There is not all that much snowfall in Missouri so I won't

need to be working into the night or early morning. Although we did have one snow

last year that dumped about 18 inches, but the GT-14 had it's auger full for a while

on that one.

HPIM1103.jpg,

The first hurdle to over come was the fact that there was no gear box to reverse the

direction of the auger. Needles to say with the smaller diameter of the auger getting

two idlers inside the housing was quite a challenge. Had to trim a little off the end of

the auger, but don't think that will cause any problems.

HPIM1104.jpg

It,s going to be interesting geting all the speeds, blower and travel, but what the heck

it's just the jr. version so if it blows snow then all is good. Thats all I have for now.

Any comments are welcome Mike

Rollerman

Umm...Snow Chucker Jr II you mean. :ychain:

My version.....

2snoeremoveing.jpg

HorseFixer

Mike, Oh Geee........... i'm confused...... :eusa-think: it looks just like mine! :ychain: Are you still belly aching over that missing transmission Box??? I purchased that and two other pieces Which was a package deal in order to get the Ole Waggon I wanted. Sold it to you for $125.00 Justwhat I had in it. And posted a Gallery of pictures of it on flee bay :techie-ebay: I knew even less than you did about it at the time but keep getting reminded of it evertime I see you! :violin: I told you to quit cobbeling it up, bring it up next time yer this way and Ill Buy it back and show you how to fix it! :banana-wrench: Ill hang that thing on front of the 520-H and show you how its done! :eusa-whistle: See you at Charlotte you Ole Bush Wacker! Bring it with!

Cheers ~Duke

:beer:

P.S. Bring my Mason Jar Back that the Apple Juice came in sounds like you need a refill befor you buck something up!

WH4Sale061.jpg

WH4Sale062.jpg

WH4Sale064.jpg

WH4Sale066.jpg

VinsRJ

Looks like you will do the "Snow Chucker" name sake with honor!

MalMac

Did I hear something about apple juice? The loosening up agent.

bowtieguy

Mike....didn't know you were in the market for a snow thrower!....when that piece of junk lays down on you in the next snow storm, call me...I've got 2 that I need to get rid of....BUT....you have to take what they are hooked to

Maybe we will get lucky and get another snow about March~~

ol550

First of all thanks to the Duke for suppling the pics of the snowblower I started with.

Think it is a ST-30.

The install of the 8 speed was pretty straight forward. Just had to make a hole for

the high/low shifter and the dipstick tube. The Lawn Ranger wheel mounting was

thought inspiring. First thought about drilling the LR hubs. then decided to spin

the C-81 hubs down and tap the 3 holes for the wheel bolts.

HPIM1114.jpg

On to the input pulley, The original was what I thought to small an OD to keep the

ground speed down. Found a hydro pulley in my pile of parts, but had to trim the

inside down to fit the belt as close to the transaxle as possible. Belt is still a little out

of alignment even with the drive pulley on the engine slid out about an inch. Don't

think it will be a problem.

HPIM1105.jpg,

This is what I have come up for the drive. The ST-30 had a sptocket on the jackshaft

that I removed and installed the largest pulley I could get on and still get a belt on.

The tensioner was made out of some leftover parts and the stiffest spring I found on

hand. May need to change if it slips the belt.

HPIM1116.jpg,

A close up of the drive clutch setup. A little different than it was on the doner engine.

Just cost another trip to the leftover parts pile.

HPIM1116.jpg

Hopefully will get this project far enough along to try for the first snowfall. Still need to

fix up a seat for ballast and an operator. More to follow, Mike

Got the first 2 pics out of order

ol550

Fourth pic,

HPIM1112.jpg

Sparky

Is that straight pipe coming out the side the exhaust :eek: ? I bet its loud!

Mike........

ol550

No It's a test pipe to make sure I didn't need to bend a pipe to get under the hood.

HorseFixer

Looks like she's comming along Mike, :thumbs: What that jackstand on the left rear looks like shes crawlin out from under yer Axel

if she does might Buck up yer ride! :jaw: You keep this up following my lead, I might promote you to HorseFixers Helper! :eusa-whistle:

~Duke

elixir20

Does anyone have a PDF of the manual for this blower? I bought one from SteveBo a little while ago and am in the process of restoring it. It will eventually go on my 702 or 854...

Thanks.

rmaynard

Does anyone have a PDF of the manual for this blower? I bought one from SteveBo a little while ago and am in the process of restoring it. It will eventually go on my 702 or 854...

Thanks.

I just put a copy in the files section. As soon as it is approved, it will be available. Title is Snowthrower_30in_1962_ST-302_ST-3072.pdf

TT

It's live. :text-thankyoublue: Bob!

ol550

I have the parts list and instructions for the ST-30 & ST-307. The picture on the front page

shows it on a 551. My intentions were to put it on a 550, but too late for that. Mike

elixir20

As TT said, Thanks Rob!!!

Adam

ol550

Anyone know what speed their snow blower auger turns at? :confusion-confused: Maybe just for grins checked

it. :dunno: Had the jr. turning and it seems a little fast. With the engine at 3570 RPM the

auger was turning at 2680 RPM. :woohoo: Had a couple inches of snow this morning but

the 35MPH winds wouldn't let it pile up anywhere long enough to try it out. :omg: Mike

ol550

Thanks.

Just posted the manual named Snow Thrower ST-30 & ST-307

HorseFixer

We had 12" Last night, I pulled mine outta the garage this morning and turned the lights on and it melted. :ychain: So how did it blow Mike? or wasnt there enough? :dunno:

Cheers ~Duke