Sign in to follow this  
Jesse Craig

New RJ-35 to the collection

Jesse Craig

I just purchased a 55 RJ-35 and am concerned with a few things. 1, I believe the motor is wrong. 2, The steering wheel is wrong. 3, This tractor has a transmission in it. Was there an option for a transmission? it is a pretty clean job. Also does anybody know what the front wheel weights looked like? I believe these may be the WH front weights. I have the original sales receipt and parts manual for it too!! Any info would be greatly appreciated!! I would like to know what I got myself into!!

Pic2

Pic3

Pic 4

Pic5

post-5916-0-40097700-1325101778_thumb.jp

post-5916-0-22756000-1325101843_thumb.jp

post-5916-0-94492700-1325101887_thumb.jp

post-5916-0-52841600-1325101931_thumb.jp

post-5916-0-88978100-1325101963_thumb.jp

TT

:WRS:

You are correct about the wrong engine and steering wheel. The steering wheel looks like it might actually be a hand wheel for a water valve.

Transmissions were definitely not an option on the RJ-25/35 models, but yours is not the first one I've seen. Check out this mess:

misc066.jpg

As far as calling it a 1955..... it could be anywhere from a later '55 to possibly mid '56

Is the receipt dated?

I don't recognize the front weights. :confusion-shrug:

Jesse Craig

So im not sure what to do with this thing now! If I restore it I will have to find a Clinton engine which I'm sure are not cheep! and I think I will leave the transmission in it since it is such a nice clean job. Or do I part it out?

TT

Some might frown upon the modifications, but whoever owned that tractor needed it to use, not tote it around to shows on a trailer.

If that tractor was in my possession, I would leave the transmission in it, install a K-90/91 Kohler :handgestures-thumbup: , and get it moving under it's own power.

If it works well, do a little cosmetic work and enjoy the heck out of it. I don't think there's anything wrong with having something unique that will stand out in a sea of shiny red tractors.

Some of the best ideas and inventions came from backyards, garages, and farms...... and that includes Wheel Horse tractors. Just because it's not Elmer and Cecil's history doesn't mean that it's not worth preserving. :USA:

• Like 2

Jesse Craig

TT,

Thanks for the advice. I was thinking that too, with the Kohler K91. I really think it would be easier and less $$ to put it back together with a K91 than try to fix it up correctly. Only thing I see being an issue is how does the carb/air cleaner fit under the hood? I will have to look at some RJ-58/59 i guess.

I would like to know about those wheel weights if anybody else may know. Thank you :bow-blue:

Jesse

buckrancher

Hi jesse your fast I called and left the p.o. a message but he never called back glad to see some good pic's was'nt quite sure what was going on behind the hood with the pic's on craig's list

I would put a K91 on her and the air cleaner should fit just fine

and welcome to redsquare

Brian

Sparky

Looks like the perfect tractor to add to this thread :hide: .

I like it and second (or third) the idea of getting a motor on it and running it as is.

Mike..........

Ken B

If ya decide its not for you I'll take it off yer hands......

VinsRJ

Putting together a Clinton is not that much more than a Kohler. Yes you can find a donor Kohler easier than a Clinton but over all cost is about the same. I think you should restore it with the tranny. Cool find.

c161rat

I say restore it as is....Even leave the stearing wheel like it is....I agree with TT that it might be a wheel for a water valve.....but i think it looks cool!!!

sscotsman

So what is the story with the "custom transmission" on this machine?

(and other examples in this thread)..

Is it just because the original gearing broke down and it was easier to "fix" the machine

by adding these new transmissions? rather than fix the original gearing?

In the case of Jesse's RJ in this thread, it looks like adding in the whole new trans with shifter was *much*

more complicated than fixing or replacing the original setup! but clearly someone thought it was the best way to go..

are replacement gears hard to find for the Pre-'58 RJ's? What tends to break down on them and are they difficult to fix?

(I would like to find one someday, so I would like to learn!) :)

thanks,

Scot

AMC RULES

Some might frown upon the modifications, but whoever owned that tractor needed it to use, not tote it around to shows on a trailer.

If that tractor was in my possession, I would leave the transmission in it, install a K-90/91 Kohler :handgestures-thumbup: , and get it moving under it's own power.

If it works well, do a little cosmetic work and enjoy the heck out of it. I don't think there's anything wrong with having something unique that will stand out in a sea of shiny red tractors.

Some of the best ideas and inventions came from backyards, garages, and farms...... and that includes Wheel Horse tractors. Just because it's not Elmer and Cecil's history doesn't mean that it's not worth preserving. :USA:

Very nicely said TT. :music-rockout:

TT

So what is the story with the "custom transmission" on this machine?

(and other examples in this thread)..

Check this out, Scot: explanation of variable speed belt-drive transmission

RJ-25/35 models used a jackshaft/chain/pinion gear/bull gear for the actual reduction gearing (which increases pulling power at the wheels) and used the belt drive to vary the ground speed. Reverse was achieved by forcing the variator pulley against a bronze disc bolted to the back side of the engine pulley.

The belt drive system is somewhat unpredictable, jerky, and is prone to slippage when under load. The reversing disc is a sacrificial part, and the variator pulley assemblies probably didn't receive the preventative maintence they needed and therefore some of them ended up being junk.

In the case of the one I pictured, I can only guess that problems were encountered with the original variator set-up and the mechanical transmission was installed to allow the tractor to remain usable. Whoever modified Jesse's tractor knew what they were doing, and it actually looks good too.

The Ponds evidently realized the problems associated with the belt drive system on the riding tractors and took rather immediate action, which is how the 3 speed Uni-Drive came to be. One single drive belt under spring tension, with the natural tendency to grip and pull harder when under load - courtesy of the "V" shape (technically a taper) - is a much-simpler design.

sscotsman

Thanks Terry! icon-thumbsup.gif

that makes more sense to me now..

Scot