Sign in to follow this  
Hodge71

18 auto pics

Hodge71

You guys have been asking for them, I've been too embarassed to post them because of the conditon of this thing, but after some quiet prodding from you guys I have decided that if you dont see what I started with you wont understand how happy I will be when I get it running

Sparky

Hmmm.....might want to try that pic thingy again. :grin:

Mike.......

Hodge71

Yeah I know Sparky. It wouldnt leave me upload anything. It said I'm too close to my 8MB limit so I'll take a video tomorrow and post the you tube link like I did for the snowblower

baerpath

Hodges 18 Auto

D180004.jpg

D180001.jpg

D180003.jpg

Duane

Hodge71

Boy it looks a whole lot different than that now Duane. I pressure washed the whole thing and I have it torn limb from limb to say the least. But thats where it started...later on today I'll show the progress so far

Hodge71

heres the youtube links guys...enjoy and dont laugh too hard

you can check the others out from there, it should let you see my channel and then check amongst the others to see the plow and tires. The damn thing wont let me post anymore media files on here...lol

Hodge71

Got my Harley coil today, plow has all the holes bushed and welded and the 5/8x4" cutting edge from hell has been drilled and painted. Tires are getting mounted today. Hopefully tomorrow she should be back together and runnin on her own. Gotta do some major welding on the plow A-frame tomorrow too but that'll come after I drive her around for an hour or so

Hydro

Hope you are getting near the end Jeff. Good luck tomorrow.

Trouty56

Heck....I ain't laughing. I like those rear tires. I have a used set on mine. Where'd you get them and at what cost. I saw some blems for a good price online.

I have a set of wheel weights just like those.

Have you decided on how you are mounting the rear wheels yet???? Offset in or out????

Jake Kuhn

Looks great! I love those rear tires,Jake

Hodge71

Trouty,

From my preliminary calculations the tires will be mounted offset in. The rims have a lip which only allows them to be mounted that way. I'm going to give it a shot with the offset out but I believe they would only be supported by the wheelstuds/bolts instead of the lip centering on the hub eccentric. The wheel has a radius that doesnt catch the hub lip when its backwards. The tires came from fleabay...$135 for the pair with free shipping..... size 28x9.50-15 4ply...... The fronts were $65 for the pair with shipping....size 18x9.50-8...... Thye arent blems...backs are Titans...fronts are OTRs.

Hodge71

Gary,

I see snow on my blower.....you must have got white stuff in Oriillia. I hope it worked out well for you my friend... I will be done soon...hopefully by Monday the tractor will have the plow fixed and be ready to do some damage down here. My Dad was laughing today cuz he helped me with laying out the cutting edge holes and welding the washers/bushings on the quadrant and plowblade and it wieghs about 75 pounds...probably more than the whole moldboard...lol

Hodge71

Here the link...It runs again....The problem I have now is the points are sticking open at sustained high rpms and the tractor shutting off...( 1/2 throttle and above). Anybody know how I can get this damn thing to stop doing that. Its kicking my butt and I just want to be able to be able to count on this thing to run for 3 hours if I need it to. I have no idea about points at all on these things. I have set points on cars with distibutors before but that was many years ago and I bet this is nothing like a car.... I'm sure I will have a ton of questions once suggestions start coming in so bear with me guys.

• Like 1

varosd

Jeff,

Looking better and better! did you rattle can the rims? I would leave the wheel weights off until it is good and dry. not sure about powder coat drying time. don't be in a hurry. no snow,so far! (as I am bolting stainless steel hardware onto my Snowblade hitch :D )

V-man

Trouty56

Hey Jeff....think it could be a timing problem?? I guess you have checked the point gap. Set it to .020 MAXIMUM first. I went a bit lower. On the flywheel there are 2 marks....DC and SP. I found the SP and chalked it. There is a small window on the top of the engine cover above the flywheel to do this. There might be a cover on it maybe the size of a quarter. The governor mechanism has the points on it. Loosen and move the governor to set the timing so a timing light shows the SP mark in the window. Just a note here....when you re-tighten the governor don't go hog wild. It will break.

This is explained in the K482 manual part 6.8.

Hodge71

Don, all painting painting is rattlecan, valspar tractor and implement paint. Wheels are IH white. the plow is IH red. Plow movie hopefully tomorrow or sunday

Bob, I have never checked the points, set the points or done anything at all with them. I'm skeered shitless with them. I dont want to make things worse by playing with them alone. If i had soomeone that had a bit of knowledge working on it with me, I'd be way more comfortable. Plus it makes no sense that it starts and runs fine for 15 minutes and then they stick and only at 1/2 throttle or better. I had it idling for 45 minutes this afternoon before I drove it because it was down to 15 yesterday. It ran great until I drove it for 15 minutes at 3/4 throttle then it shut off.

Hydro

"I see snow on my blower.....you must have got white stuff in Oriillia. I hope it worked out well for you my friend..."

Jeff thank you so much. The blower is awesome. I just hope things work out for your purchase. You are a straight guy. Sounds like this tractor has been a handful. You have made awesome progress. I don't know much about ignitions but this battle can be won in your favour. By the time it's done you will have earned "EXTREME BRAGGING RIGHTS"

Sparky

Those front skins look great! Are the rears skinny? They seem tucked under the fenders :scratchead: ?

Mike........

Hodge71

Those front skins look great! Are the rears skinny? They seem tucked under the fenders :scratchead: ?

Mike........

The wheels are as they came on the tractor. I couldnt install the the opposite way with the offset out. I'm sure it woulda looked a helluva lot better. The back tires are 28x8.50-15 Titan R-4 tires. In hindsight I wish I could have found 10.50 wide ones for the back. The 18x9.50s up front really ride nice