Sign in to follow this  
fireman

My RJ-35 is finally going back together!

fireman

Well after a visit to SteveBo's house tonight, I decided it was time to put the RJ-35 back together and at least enjoy it a little seeing it has been sitting dis-assembled for the last 2 years :happy-partydance: . At some point I will completely restore it but for now it will stay as it is. The engine has been completely rebuilt with all new internals and runs like new (Thanks again Charlie)! Worked till 11:00 tonight and time to call it quits. I hope to have it completely put back together and running within the next few days. I do want to have the hood welded back together soon. Somewhere in this tractors life, some moron cut the hood in half in stead of removing the steering wheel or shaft. They added four pieces of sheet metal to re-attach it. At least the cut is nice and straight and should look perfect once welded and ground down. I forgot to take pictures when I took it apart :angry-banghead: . Now I need to remember how the drive mechanism goes back together especially behind the hubs :eusa-think: !

101_0005.jpg

101_0006.jpg

101_0007.jpg

• Like 1

Sparky

Nice to hear that your still wrenching on red tractors Jeff!

Mike..........

rj35hunter

Jeff, this was the only picture I could find quickly. It is covered in grease, but you can kinda make it out. Starting with the axle only, put your woodruff key in and with the assembled drive pawl hub assembly slide over the key. The "flipper" pawl goes in the pawl hub with the dowel pin holding it in. The pawl hub can go on either way, I always put back the wore side towards the tractor & the smoother side towards the wheel. The small hole in the pawl faces the backing plate with the small spring in the hole so it can hit the bumps on the back of the plate to engadge the wheels. Other than packing some grease in & around the pawl & hubs so that it will work right, just shim the wheel hubs back on & put in your cotter key. I also found a couple pics of inside the gear casing of another tractor if needed.

By the way, I'm also glad to see it going back together again!! :)

6579681457_18a73d3059.jpg

6579892123_b77ab93f93_z.jpg

6579892207_738a9de2d5_z.jpg

Clay

Suburban 550

Lookin' good, Jeff. :handgestures-thumbup: I wonder if it was the same moron that cut the hood on my 701. :confusion-shrug:

stevebo

Jeff,

That's my boy !!

stevebo

Here are some pics that should help you out. Call me if you need any others.

joepsvariable2.jpg

DSCF0586-1.jpg

DSCF0665.jpg

drivegearinplace-2.jpg

AMC RULES

That is a gorgeous little RJ. :icecream: Going to put those new hubs on it too Jeff? :scratchead:

fireman

Thanks for the pics Clay and Steve! Craig I am going to put on the new hubs.

Man it felt good to actually work on tractors again!

• Like 1

speedyleedy

Its lookin good jeff ! you should have it done in no time,keep up the great work :)

Ken B

That is coming along real nice Jeff.

I must have just missed you at the Ponderosa yesterday. Its funny, we both see Steve on the same day, you wind up putting an RJ together and I wind up taking one apart on the same day.

VinsRJ

Looking good Jeff...... stay focused and don't freak out on us..... think happy thoughts. :ychain:

Ken..... what-choo-talking-about... taking RJs apart?

Ken B

Looking good Jeff...... stay focused and don't freak out on us..... think happy thoughts. :ychain:

Ken..... what-choo-talking-about... taking RJs apart?

I picked one up last night. I got home and started taking it apart. Thanks to Steve. :D

fireman

No work got done today. Had a "honey do list" to work on then off to work for some night shift overtime. Hopefully when I get home tomorrow I can get the rest put back together and with any luck actually go for a ride :auto-driving: !

Jake Kuhn

Looks good,You had to enjoy it a little before you redo it because once you paint it you will be afraid to even drive it at least that is how I am with my 401,Jake

• Like 1

stevebo

We should call this thread "Jeff's therapy session"... Keep it going Jeff. You will get there in short time.

fireman

Well I spent the afternoon working on the RJ. Got the majority of it put back together. Need to put on a new fuel line & filter and pick up the two belts from the auto parts store. Unfortunately I have work my regular 24 hour shift tomorrow so I won't be able to get it running till Friday. I guess I have waited this long so an extra day isn't going to hurt. Here's were i'm at:

101_0008.jpg

101_0009.jpg

101_0010.jpg

101_0011.jpg

Jake Kuhn

Looks great! :handgestures-thumbup:

stevebo

loving it !!

HorseFixer

:thumbs: :WRS:

dclarke

Nice Jeff! :thumbs:

fireman

Won't be doing any work on the tractor tomorrow. I didn't sign up for overtime but they called looking for people to stay (10 hours). I don't even have to change stations :woohoo: . The belts are in at the parts store I just have to pick them up. Looks like Saturday will be the day. I did sign up for overtime on Saturday night (New Years Eve 14 hours OT) and odds are I will get it. Looks like I have my work cut out for me Saturday morning if I want to finish rebuilding it and go for a ride before I have to leave for work. We'll see!

stevebo

I should be around if you need a hand. Let me know-

buckrancher

looking good Jeff glad your back at it :banana-dance:

fireman

IT'S ALIVE!

Ran out this morning to pick up the belts and some hose clamps and a fuel filter. Got those all installed then put some gas in. The engine fired up after two pulls and it hasn't ran in 2 years. It runs nice and smooth. The yard is muddy due to rain so I just moved it back and forth outside the shop to confirm the drive train all works. Man what a great feeling!

Here's a video of it running:

th_100_0400.jpg

VinsRJ

Jeff, that things sounds really good! We going to get a quick road trip vid of you on her?