Sign in to follow this  
IthacaJeff

Choice of a single tractor

kloe0699

I love my Raider's. Dependable, easy maintenance. My C-175 has done everything I have asked it to do consistently though. I have had a bad cravin for a C-160 for years now.. That most likely is gonna be the one.

gcole

For myself any 75 c series there built tuff and easy to work on

shootinok

Mine is the '79 C-121 (could be skewed a little, since that is the one I own).

Truth be told though, if money were not a consideration, I would probably have a Deere in the 400 series - diesel. Then I'd still have my Wheel Horse C-121 - It would just be completely re-done and kept in pristine condition! :USA:

Pollack Pete

As much as I love Wheel Horse,if I had to have only one tractor it would be a Bolens 1250.Cast iron Wisconsin engine,hydro drive,hydraulic lift.Weigh about 1,000 pounds.BTW......I have 3 of them.

• Like 1

IthacaJeff

Too bad Christmas is over. . .

I'd put the Simplicity Legacy and the Kubota BX in the SCUT category, but I guess when we dream, we can really

dream!

Denny, how is that Kubota? Plusses, minuses?

Jeff

grnlark

This may not be the most Practical garden tractor out there but since the rules say I can only have one this would be it. Especially with that purty mower deck under it. You know I'd use it to.

Picture.jpg

Ken, I agree 100%. I don't think you could put another tractor in front of me that I would pick over a Senior like that.

• Like 1

MaineDad

Power King 2414 with dual transmissions and a 3 point hitch. I'd say C-160 8 speed if it had a hydraulic lift too. That's one thing that I think were WH missed the boat, having a geared tranny with hydraulic lift...

TT

That's one thing that I think were WH missed the boat, having a geared tranny with hydraulic lift...

The boat wasn't really missed..... they just rode a different one. :ychain:

The HY-2 & 3 hydraulic lifts were available for the '62, '63, & '64 "little" tractors and the 953/1054/1054A all had standard hydraulic lift. Once the hydro tranz was introduced in '65, all of those models could have hydraulic lift without adding an additional pump, reservoir, etc.

Electric lift was available for most of the gear-drive tractors as long as they had a charging system / battery.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Back to topic.......

Since my Kubota and Ventrac choices aren't "legal", I'll take a Toro/WH 523Dxi :handgestures-thumbup:

Rollerman

Back to topic.......

Since my Kubota and Ventrac choices aren't "legal", I'll take a Toro/WH 523Dxi

Wouldn't the OP's JD 400 series fall in the SCUT class?

SAM58

It would have to be the 520H with all the accessories...

IMG_0360.jpg?t=1301409621

TT

Wouldn't the OP's JD 400 series fall in the SCUT class?

Probably - and so would the Senior, 523Dxi, C-195, D-250, and a lot of the rest. :hide:

shallowwatersailor

My choices would be:

1. Wheel Horse 417A

2. Toro Wheel Horse 523Dxi (not #1 due to lack of Wheel Horse inter-changeability)

3. Wheel Horse C-195

When we moved into this house, I had my heart set on a Kubota BX1860 that could do "everything". I couldn't convince "She who must be obeyed!", so I now have four garden tractors - each with distinct responsibilities! Guess I won after all.

mavfreak

I would have to go with a JD318 sorry guys. My step-dad has one and I have just fallen in love with it.

Rooster

Round Hood....

I really, honestly do not have a need for a tractor...

I could shovel my drive, and push mow my lawn about as much time as to get the tractor warmed up and out of the garage, lol!

But If I can only own one....702?

HorseFixer

I would probably say a Toss up between my 417A and a C-160 I dont have one myself yet but sure like my C-120 So the big Blog would be an

Improvement..

dclarke

Too bad Christmas is over. . .

I'd put the Simplicity Legacy and the Kubota BX in the SCUT category, but I guess when we dream, we can really

dream!

Denny, how is that Kubota? Plusses, minuses?

Jeff

So far I like it Jeff, A little slow in reverse but mows great, turns on a dime and very well built.

can whlvr

the company i worked for 20 years bought an L48 kobota 4x4 backhoe with quick connect front end,we used it for about 10 years hard,it was well taken care of but never once broke down,and allways started,we put chains on her for the winter and nothing would stop it,kobotas are very nice tractors,now the guy i worked for bought the 96hp skid steer with tracks,its a literal tank,picks up 6000 lbs at full height,WOW

IthacaJeff

I'm surprised no one mentioned a Cub like a 149/169 or super garden tractor 2082. . .ummm

Rollerman

I'm surprised no one mentioned a Cub like a 149/169 or super garden tractor 2082. . .ummm

I do like the "82" series Cubs & I have got some seat time on a smokey 782, reminded me a lot of a D "bulky".

If this has to be the tractor to eliminate all my other tractors I'll still stick with a new Simplicty Legacy (SCUT, SuperGT, or just big hawg of a GT) a neighbor has one & it's a sweet GT.

In my local there are a few Simple dealers around...so parts would be easy & still produced.

nylyon

Since I don't have a 520, I would pick the Onan 416-H. It fits in the shed, takes just about all accessories, mega power, great sound, smooth, good riding and purdy! I pick the Hydraulics for 3 reasons. First, lifting a blower with a hydro is just as easy as lifting a mower deck. Second is the variability of speed. Finally the hydro can give down pressure for accessories (dozer's, graders etc) giving them an edge over their manual counterparts. I pick the 416, since the Onan in the 416 seems to have better reliability than the 520. It has more power, smoother operation and nicer sound than a Kohler. And I pick the 416 because it's 8-pinion, 9.50 tires and fits nicely in the shed.

sscotsman

Well, I dont have any "heavy" work to do, so I can afford to go with smaller machines,

and go for "what I really like" over any other considerations! ;)

1. Wheel Horse model 854 (I own one!)

2. Wheel Horse RJ58

3. Cub Cadet "original"..

I dont own 2 and 3 yet, but I hope to eventually..

and ok, im going cheat:

4. Wheel Horse late 70's model B or C..(maybe a hydro, since the other three are geared)

those are my four ideal tractors..

Scot

Kingwood990

My two non WH dream tractors would have to be the John Deere 430 and the Bolens HT-23. There are quite a few others but those are the two I would like to have the most. I have just about all the dream tractors I want now but those two are the icing on the cake so to speak.

fourwheels0

only one huh?

well c-160 then.hands down for me.

i have a 77 or 78 (can't remember) now and picking up a 74-75 c-160.

2nd would be any wh with a fel.

3rd maybe an old speedex.

SkyhawkTL

Did Ferrari make a v12 tractor?

My 551 Suburban does everything I need - and has for over 50 years..... (Thanks Dad)

DSC00545.jpg

bk-scouter

523 DXI, and a Bolens HT23 or HT20d. I love the stance these old Bolens tractors have and their 'hydro-pedal'.

-BK

(Pictures courtesy of "Sam's Bolens.com")

ht23image-1.jpg

ht23image-2.jpg

• Like 1