Sign in to follow this  
IthacaJeff

Choice of a single tractor

IthacaJeff

Okay, looking for some fun discussion. Here is the question. You can have only a single garden

tractor. What would it be? Here are some rules and conditions:

1. Any brand. Yes, you can choose a non-WH, or any brand you have not owned.

2. No sub-compact utility tractors, no 4WD. 3 pt hitches okay, as they did come on garden tractors.

3. Tractor must handle all the lawn/garden chores. Assume you have no zero-turn for mowing or

farm tractor for maintaining the garden.

4. You may choose a top pick and two alternates. You may assume the tractors are in new condition.

Here are mine. I have only experience with WH and Simplicity, so I'm pretty limited on my knowledge.

1. Deere 422 (or whatever the model with the Yanmar diesel and 3 pt hitch. ) The diesel makes it.

2. WH 416-8, Kohler Magnum. Simplicity of use. No fancy hydraulics, easy mechanicals to fix.

Jeff in Enfield NY

mrocket49

Choice #1- Wheel Horse C-195. I like the bigger rear tires and 3 pt. hitch option.

Choice #2- Wheel Horse C-175 Automatic. I have one and it does everything I need it to.

WheelHorseC-175.jpg

Choice #3- John Deere 400. These just always seemed to be a good tractor.

Don1977

NOS 1977 C-160 8 SPEED

I know it's not going to happen , but you asked. LOL

DoctorHfuhruhurr

Even though this violates the 4WD rule I'd choose a 2012 John Deere Select Series X749 4-Wheel Steer 4-Wheel Drive Ultimate Tractor with all the attachments. It's about $12K for just the Garden Tractor without a deck but after I was done adding every attachment and option I could find I had it up to around $30k. I like Steiner tractors a lot but the proprietary attachments make them unattractive to me.

john-deere-x749-ultimate-tractor.jpg

Rollerman

If money were no object, probably a Simplicity Legacy W/FEL, front assist, 3PH, 60" deck & tiller attachment.

On a practical side......Any Kohler powered long frame 8 speed/8 pinnion WheelHorse from 73 on.

TT

I'm with DoctorFurburger :P on the 4WD rule breaking, but definitely not the John Deere part.

While at the local dealer picking up Stihl parts a few weeks ago, I laid my eyes on a shiny new BX2660 Kubota with a front end loader & a 54" mower deck. It was absolutely a garden tractor - and my cost was only $19K. :omg:

Been researching the Ventrac 4226D & 4231TD models for work (golf course / country club maintenance) and wouldn't mind having one of those here at the house either.

In reality, my 416-H and/or GT-1848 are perfectly fine for what I need, and neither tractor has ever let me down. (except for running out of gas :eusa-doh:)

refracman

Hmmm

Its the 430 that has the deisel,

First Like Rollerman the Simplicity Legacy is nice, 2sp rear w/loc power steering and if you want, 4wd

Second would be a 1984 C195 why 84 it came stock w /3pt and had the series 2 KT

Third would be the never failing to do whatever you ask of it is the C160 Hydro

wallfish

It's about $12K for just the Garden Tractor without a deck but after I was done adding every attachment and option I could find I had it up to around $30k.

That is one beatiful tractor but for 30K--- I could go to Vegas, gamble, drink, order up some fine women, pick up an old C series and then waste the rest of it. LOL

• Like 2

Jim_M

I would have to go with a 416-H or a C-160 automatic.

DoctorHfuhruhurr

It's about $12K for just the Garden Tractor without a deck but after I was done adding every attachment and option I could find I had it up to around $30k.

That is one beatiful tractor but for 30K--- I could go to Vegas, gamble, drink, order up some fine women, pick up an old C series and then waste the rest of it. LOL

Yeah; that's a bit much for a Garden Tractor even with every attachment I could find on their website. I'm sure there's a comparable tractor from other popular companies for much less but I haven't done any research. I think Deere makes a good product but I've never been able to justify their higher prices compared to similar specifications of other brand tractors. But if it were a gift I probably wouldn't refuse it. :D

wallfish

Me Either

Jake Kuhn

I hope nobody gets mad with me going off brand but I would take a simplicity prestige with 3pt and a loader,Jake

• Like 1

jay in nc

for me it would be a c 161 8 speed but with a solid mount engine.for #2 a 12 hp. graveley walk behind w duals,steering sulky and as many attchments as i could bring home

Forest Road

My 312-8 hasn't let me down! She plows dirt and snow, tows logs, tills earth, chips/pulverizes wood, mows, and grades 1/2 mile+ annually with ease. So I'll keep her! A 16hp Magnum would be nice but thats all I'd change. I rebuilt the trans last year, and its an 8 pinion!!!! I'll never burn up a hydro motor or worry about the hydro ram leaking. So with new ags all the way around and a fresh coat of paint, LED tail lights, and terry's vinyl she's good to go for many years to come.

As for a second tractor I have a 314H I blow snow with but in truth really depends on the chore and what the rental store has available. Every couple of years I find myself hiring somebody with a machine or renting one for a few days. I love the maintence schedule on those rentals!

Hodge71

As far as brand new machines, I'd have to agree with TT. You just cant beat the Kubota. But I unfortunately live in this little town called reality and I could never afford a new machine. So with that said I LOVE my 1973 18 Auto. Its a real piece of crap right now, but in my distorted little mind it shows alot of potential and in about 1 more week it should be running well and have all new sneakers instead of bald car tires. I always wanted one since I was 7 and read my Dads dealer propaganda for '73.

steamfitter

I would say my 417a it does everything that I need. although, my 314/8 is also a close second choice

dclarke

I got one of the ones I wanted last year. Some day I want to get a cab and blower for it.

426.jpg

• Like 1

boovuc

If shopping for a new tractor and IF I had just cashed in a North America record lottery ticket, I'd have a Kabota BX series with an FEL and other toys.

In reality, Either my C175-8 or the 310-8 as my primary tractor. (very dependable).

Second tractor would be my 520-H.

can whlvr

i would pic my c160 auto,then my 414-8 012-3.jpg082-1.jpg

mowerman1193

Do I choose the one I like best or the one that I don't mind making needed repairs to when needed, LOL

I have owned and worked on a lot of tractors over the years. The heavy built tactors to me are the Deeres. I have 2 140 H3's and love them..but if I choose any tractor then I would go with a Deere with power steering etc..Not sure what ones have that but I do know the 318, 332, etc do but I like the 400 and 425's etc too..If I am doing repairs I don't want it to be a Deere, LOL..My choice then goes to any of the Wheel Horse/Toro models with the tach-matic and the second choice is old Simplicity's

Kevin

Wheel Horse Kid

Hmmm...That is a hard question.

I would have to go with the Wheel Horse 312-8 as my top choice. I bought one last spring and it was just an AWESOME tractor. It really impressed me alot. I sold that one, in order to buy a tractor with a tiller. Well, I just had to buy another 312-8. Short story, I ended up buying another one last fall and it is just as good as my first one. It does everything that I need it to do. I really like it alot!

An alternative choice would either be an Allis Chalmers 900 series or a older Cub Cadet.

smoreau

I really love my 417A!! its got great power, hydro lift, ok on gas compared to my Onen in the 520, and all my attachments I have will fit it. I know have 2 417A's , 85 and a 86 :) This is why this was my first choice for the hydraulic V blade. I would have to say that all my tractors are great, but when it comes to doing allot of hard work, My 417A is the first one I go to.

252.jpg

• Like 1

Ken B

This may not be the most Practical garden tractor out there but since the rules say I can only have one this would be it. Especially with that purty mower deck under it. You know I'd use it to.

Picture.jpg

MalMac

For me any of the 78 or 79 C-series the bread and butter for Wheel Horse. Out of all the tractors I have. I use the C-81 the most. I even had a FEL on it at one time. Will do any chore and never complain except it you run it out of gas. It thinks it's a big HP tractor but don't tell it that.

stevebo

For an all around machine with the main uses s a mower and snow removal It would be my 417-8 or 520H (coin flip)

IMG_2124.jpg

IMG_0698.jpg