Sign in to follow this  
Paul D.

Wheelhorse Generators

Lane Ranger

Paul: Here are a couple photos of my Wheel Horse 3000 Watt Generator that was made by Generac for Wheel Horse. I tried uploading the manual on the documents side but the five or six pages is too big to load on this site. Mine is the 97-30GNO1 Generator Model . The 500 Watt model is a 97-50GNO1.

Note use use a lift and flag on this generator just like you do on the snowblower. This thing does need the extra support as it is heavy and does vibrate but the PTO can run this very well for a long time.

100_9312.jpg

100_9300.jpg

100_9308.jpg

100_9303.jpg

100_9311.jpg

100_9304.jpg

100_9301.jpg

Paul D.

Thanks for the info. That should really help with the fab Process. Do you run yours at full throttle to obtain 120 volts?

Docwheelhorse

Hello All,

I'm the owner of the 10kw/Magnum 16 rig... yes the Magnum is a touch light in the HP department when you start REALLY loading the generator. I used a 4" drive pulley off of a B80 (1" diameter bore) on the generator and the inside PTO pulley groove. The inside pulley is slightly bigger than 4" so I am overdriving the generator.... not by much though as I have to bring the Magnum up to 3000 to get the voltage dialed in. The Magnum has never shown any signs of running hot (glowing exhaust, overly hot air blowing off the cylinder barrel etc....) These 16's move a TON of air.... I use 89 octane 7/11 gas and the blue marine formula Sta-Bil. I also run Mobil 1 15/50 and change it often. The theory is that for every 1000 watts you rneed 2 hp.... so with a 16 I should be able to run right up to 8000 watts. I have fabricated a generator mount for a small 110 only ~2500 watt unit and its relatively easy..... pics of that are also on the forum here somewhere. I bet that the Harbor Freight 10kw unit would work pretty well as long as you didn't abuse it. I have done some research on both a Harbor Freight log splitter and also read about there portable electric start generators and didn;t find anyone saying anything bad about them. I bought the log splitter two years ago and was surprisingly pleased with its performance and construction.... I researched the genset for my dad but never bought one.... if it was me I would take a chance and risk it. As one last note.... the Magnum 16 uses a gallon to a gallon and a half an hour depending on how hard I'm running the generator.

Tony

Don1977

RPM 1800 2400 3000 3600

K241 5.6 HP 7.6 HP 9.5 HP 10.6 HP

K301 7.5 HP 10.0 HP 11.6 HP 12.0 HP

K321 8.0 HP 10.6 HP 13.0 HP 14.0 HP

Right out of the Kohler Engine Manual

Hydro

Thanks Lane Ranger, Tony and Don 1977. Paul the model number for the 5000 watt Wheel Horse generator is 97-50GN01. Note the second last digit is 0 not O. There is an excellent schematic on the Toro parts viewer to show the frame.

• Like 1

Paul D.

Thanks guys. That's some great info. Just enough to make me dangerous. Know just to find the time to get this ball rolling.

chinoman279

Excellent info guys. Especially the horsepower output numbers. Looks like my 312 will work perfect at 2400 rpms to run a 5kw gen head. That is where I wanted to run it. I appreciate all the pictures and video. I am searching daily for a gen head I can use. Chances are I can find a generator that someone seized up the motor for cheap. Better yet would be somebody that has a newer one that has a clogged up carb from old gas.

If I had something bigger than my K301 I would get a bigger head to run off of it, but 5kw is plenty while I work the plans out. I was thinking of mounting it up almost exactly like the snowthrower. I wanted to use a flag with a lift tube going down to a welded up platform for the head. For the belt I planned to build a spring loaded setup replicating the thrower setup. All of this is simple, but effective.

wallfish

You might find that the gen heads with an attached motor are not right for the application of using on a tractor. They're not designed for the side load from a pulley and belt. But, it could still be modified to work using a separate bearing.

chinoman279

You might find that the gen heads with an attached motor are not right for the application of using on a tractor. They're not designed for the side load from a pulley and belt. But, it could still be modified to work using a separate bearing.

This is a good point that I overlooked. It certainly needs to be considered. A bearing on the shaft would fix it and be easy to add. Finding the right head for the job would be easiest though. I might have to break down and just buy a new one. I can sell my husky pretty easily around here for $600 when the power goes out. That would fund this whole project no problem.

wallfish

The HF 7200w heads are $400 and designed for a pulley.Even cheaper with a 20% off coupon. You can run it at less than full load with a 12hp plus if you decide to go higher with a larger hp motor, you are ready to go.

http://www.harborfreight.com/engines-generators/generator-accessories/10000-watts-max-7200-watts-rated-belt-driven-generator-head-45416.html

pfrederi

This is a good point that I overlooked. It certainly needs to be considered. A bearing on the shaft would fix it and be easy to add. Finding the right head for the job would be easiest though. I might have to break down and just buy a new one. I can sell my husky pretty easily around here for $600 when the power goes out. That would fund this whole project no problem.

The generators that come a a set with the engine really do not have a shaft. The engine has a short tapered shaft that goes into the generator so trying to add a bearing to teh generator might be difficult.

wallfish

How about cutting the crankshaft at the counter weights inside the block and using it for a shaft? Just thinking out loud here since I have never done this.

Paul D.

I was thinking of turning a shaft mounting it in a couple of pillow blocks with a pully in between.

chinoman279

Do any of the harbor freights stock the 7200 watt gen head? I have a coupon for 20% off but it is only valid in store. I went to Battle Creek last night and they do not stock it and will not order it in. Right now there is a generator on CL that is just asking for a best offer. From the description it just sounds like the carb is just gummed up. I need to know if I can get a new head at HF in store first before I go buy the one on CL.

Wallfish I thought about making a shaft to go into a gen head if I used on that was off an assembled unit. I did not however think about just hacking the crank. That would be much easier.

Paul I thought about picking up the pillow blocks I always see on CL around here. There is a guy that is always selling them. Various sizes and by the 5 gallon bucket, usually for $25 a bucket.

MaineDad

Found a video of a guy testing a wheelhorse gen-set out on a 314 (I think). The mount looks pretty simple to make. There was also a volt meter right on the gen-set so you now when u had the motor running at the correct rpm. Here's a link to the video

Paul

Sent from my iPhone

That guy is me :) The 14 HP was just enough to run the 3,000 watt generator.

Paul D.

Well, thanks for posting that. It is some of the only views of one mounted on a tractor I could find.

Was that the battle Creek CL for the pillow blocks? I'm only about an hour and 15 away from BC. From what I can see the one at harbor freight is only available online.

post-5754-7817_thumb.jpg

chinoman279

Well, thanks for posting that. It is some of the only views of one mounted on a tractor I could find.

Was that the battle Creek CL for the pillow blocks? I'm only about an hour and 15 away from BC. From what I can see the one at harbor freight is only available online.

I don't recall exactly. I want to say he was over towards Sturgis. On a side note I see someone in Battle Creek is selling a 312-8 with a plow on CL. Too bad I have no more room in the shed.

chinoman279

Going to pick up a generac from a guy in a few minutes. We will see what is wrong with it. The Tecumseh 10hp is in good shape though. I might part it out and use the head. I've got too many projects running at the same time. I just picked up everything I need from goodwill to cook up some lead to make some weights. Going to take the semi rim off of the back and fab up a broadcast spreader for salt mounted to the bagger mounts. I'm thinking of mounting a pulley on the outside of the wheel weight to run a belt and pulley on the spreader. That is off topic for this topic though...maybe a post on that when I get to it.

cheesegrader

HankB has one of these he made with a Harbor freight head.

I have the head, but havn't had time to build the mount yet.

I'll try to find the thread.