Sign in to follow this  
Tim

running a sickle bar mower on a C-series tractor

Tim

can you put a sickle bar mower on a c series tractor using the PTO pulley

with the pulley set up will it move too fast

i thought that they were designed with the oldfer tractors with the smaller pulleys

i have a 42" sickle bar mower and have concerns

Hodge71

Absolutely. I had the joy of using a Haban sickle bar mower on an 82 SK-486. It worked great. When the guy was going to sell it he never called me and when I found out it was for sale, it was too late. It ended up going for $200 and it was repowered with a Kohler 10 HP K series

Tim

I have a SMS-425, not a Haban, will it still work on a C-series?

Does anyone know what the RPM of the pulley on the sickle gearbox should be when operating

I feel as though with the larger pulleys on the PTO of the c-series, it may go too fast

all of he pictures i see with this piece of equipment, they are attached to older wheelhorses with the smaller engine pulleys

thanks

sorekiwi

I have used a sickle mower on an old tractor with the small pulley, and can tell you that I certainly wouldnt want it operating any faster. Even with the small pulley driving it, I think I ended up running at about 3/4 throttle. The mowers shake and vibrate like you wouldnt believe, I think any faster and all the bolts would fall out of the tractor and all my fillings would fall out of my teeth.

Having said that I do remember RickV posted up a picture of one on a Charger or something similar, with the belt on the PTO. There was some talk at the time about the size of the pulley. I cant find that post or picture now.

I dont know if its possible to put a bigger pulley on the mower drive to compensate? I'm thinking the standard pulley is around 6" maybe you could put an 8" pulley on instead? :scratchead:

buckrancher

I would think it's do able you will have to make some mods for the pto and pulley dia. to keep the

rpm close . the pulley on the front mount of the sickle bar will have to be increased in dia.

some where in this form I saw a formula for pulley dia. ratio's you can figure what the old ratio was (old pto triple pulley was 2.500 dia.)

from the motor pulley to the front mount sickle bar pulley

then you can calulate the new front sickle bar mount pulley dia.with the larger pto dia. on the C series you may also have to increase

the dia. on the smaller front mount inner pulley ( and belt lenght to gear box ) if there is a clearance problem with a larger dia. front mount pulley

good luck

Brian

sorekiwi

on the C series you may also have to increase

the dia. on the smaller front mount inner pulley ( and belt lenght to gear box ) if there is a clearance problem with a larger dia. front mount pulley

good luck

Brian

I think the inner pulley would have to be smaller than the OEM one to reduce speed further Brian. I'm guessing it's about 3" now, maybe a 2" is available?

TT

In addition to what's mentioned above, the SMS-425 might be too short to use on the long-frame C series, so you may have to stretch the rear mounting yoke.

The mower drive jackshaft is too short for the pulley to line up under the PTO pulley on the engine, so you'll have to come up with a way to move the mower drive pulley out away from the front mounting bracket at least an inch or more. This could potentially mean having a new shaft made.

buckrancher

Yes you are right Mike :thumbs:

Brian

on the C series you may also have to increase

good luck

Brian

I think the inner pulley would have to be smaller than the OEM one to reduce speed further Brian. I'm guessing it's about 3" now, maybe a 2" is available?

Tim

this may go up for sale

this is going to be more complicated than i would like

sorekiwi

this may go up for sale

this is going to be more complicated than i would like

Nah, just buy another tractor!!

Tim

yup

that is why it may go for sale