Sign in to follow this  
Riley088

Keeping batteries charged throughout the winter

Riley088

Other then going out and running your tractors to keep the batteries fresh (obviously the most gratifying option) what do you guys do to keep them fresh. I've seen battery tenders out there, are they worth it? Also is there one out there that can be plugged in and run multiple leads? Thanks

wingrider

Hi Riley

I've had a Battery Tender for 7 years that I've had great success with. I also bought a similar tender from Sears that works well also.

I have been looking for a Battery Tender that will charge 4 batteries at one time. They have one that is solar powered, and one

that is waterproof. I got the first one at a Honda shop, but I haven't seen any in a retail store, but you can check them out on the

internet.

Happy Hunting wingrider

64s

I have a Battery Tender Jr that I have running 5-7 batteries at one time. I hooked them up in series and haven't had a problem in three years now. Until reading your post, I haven't though it would be a problem, but it doesn't seem to be, so I'd say go for it.

can whlvr

i take the batterys out of the machines i dont use and put them in the warm basement,trickle charge them in the spring,but i still have 4 tractors that i would like to get a solar tender for one day

wheelhorse656

all i do is is just start the horse's up once a week.

smoreau

I have several battery float chargers from harbor freight, and they are about $5 on sale know with coupon. Most of my batteries are not in the same place and I do not remove them from the tractors. I have 4 at home with batteries 3 at my friends n1defan's and 2 at my parents. I leave them plugged in all winter and when I need to use one, its ready to go. My cheaper batteries last allot longer, about 3-5years, with the battery float charger's then 1-2 years without. If I had all my tractors in one place, I would buy a larger battery tender brand charger and hook up 4-5 batteries to each. The cheap ones work fine as long as you keep them plugged in. I have had no problems with these in 4 years.

gwest_ca

I have a Battery Tender Jr that I have running 5-7 batteries at one time. I hooked them up in series and haven't had a problem in three years now. Until reading your post, I haven't though it would be a problem, but it doesn't seem to be, so I'd say go for it.

I doubt your charger is doing anything with the batteries connected in series. It will see 12 volts x the number of batteries and they only put out 14 volts at best. With 5 batteries you have 60 volts at the charger cables.

Multiple batteries wired in parallel equal one big 12 volt battery and should charge with the tender. The amperage gets divided up by each battery so 5 batteries will take 5 times longer to charge than one.

Garry

• Like 1

fourwheels0

i use a battery tender also.they work great. motorcycle shops,lowes,napa and other places have them.

rmaynard
I have several battery float chargers from harbor freight, and they are about $5 on sale now with coupon.
I have 3 of these Harbor Freight chargers. They were only $5.95 each, and they have worked through 3 winters. Before I had them, I used to take batteries out and bring them into the house. But you can't charge them indoors unless you have a method of ventilation. Hydrogen gas is a byproduct of charging, and if it builds up in a closed space, it can be explosive. Safety first.

Kelly

I use the Harbor freight tenders also, I picked them up on sale for $2.50 each, I even put one on my plow and blower tractors, so they are ready to go when I need them, I leave them on all winter.

KC9KAS

I haven't used battery tenders before, but reading on the motorcycle forums I thought I would start using them.

As others have said, the battery tenders from Harbor Freight are the least amount of $$ a person could spend....I hope the 4 that I purchased for the 2 M/C's and 2 for "winter" tractors keeps the batteries charged up!

I added a male/female molded plug to the batteries and the opposite male/female plug on the charger leads so that connect/disconned is better than the cheap clamps that are on the charger. This is only my opinion so don't throw me under the bus on this statement!

JC 1965

I have used a battery tender on my snow plow tractor for about 2 years and it works great, keeps the battery charged and ready to go. I also have one from Harbor Freight that i got on sale but have not used it yet, still in package. Wish i had been the one to invent these little chargers, probably could afford to buy more WH tractors. :auto-swerve:

64s

I doubt your charger is doing anything with the batteries connected in series. It will see 12 volts x the number of batteries and they only put out 14 volts at best. With 5 batteries you have 60 volts at the charger cables.

Multiple batteries wired in parallel equal one big 12 volt battery and should charge with the tender. The amperage gets divided up by each battery so 5 batteries will take 5 times longer to charge than one.

Garry

Yeah I misspoke - they are hooked up in parallel - I've never had a problem keeping them all charged

steamfitter

I have 2 and no problem here wallymart has them for about $20 each

can whlvr

i forgot my ohms law stuff,could someone post how to hook the batterys in paralell please

KC9KAS

Wire the positive post of battery # 1 to the positive post of battery # 2 and so forth. Wire the negative post of battery # 1 to the negative post of battery # 2, and so forth. The charger is then hooked up to the positive post and the negative post of either battery. This is wiring PARALLEL.

A series circuit goes from positive #1 to negative # 2, then the positive of # 2 goes to negative # 3. Charger is then hooked to the positive of # 3 and the negative post of # 1. This is how a flashlight with multiple batteries is set up. A 4 cell flashlight with 1 1/2 volts on each battery will produce 6 volts.

shallowwatersailor

Here is the link for Battery Tender's website. There is a lot of useful information and diagrams .

http://batterytender.com/

ce318

I use Harbor Frieght solar chargers at home and on the ranch and boat they work great

Fun Engineer

My head is spinning after skimming over their technical infomation. I was interested in how long the battery leads were and could not find that information on their website although they do mention that they sell optional 12 and 25 foot leads. I called and asked and the leads that come standard are 6 feet give or take. Having tired of finding my favorite tractor or toy battery low or dead, I think its time I purchased a Tender. They also make them in 2 and 4 battery bank configurations.

Fun Engineer

Update:

Those of you with the large herds :bow-blue: can even buy a $734 Battery Tender that will handle 10 batteries :)

chinoman279

I have a couple of the Horrible Fright chargers. I believe I got them for $2.99 each. For the price I can't complain. They do work as advertised. However if your battery is a little weak the HF maintainers do not have enough juice to keep the battery useable. It will keep any good battery good though. I used one on my 2nd car in Montana and it would fire up no problem at 30 or more below zero...without the maintainer there was no chance of me starting it up every couple weeks without getting jumper cables out.

My take is spend the few bucks and at least get a HF maintainer at minimum. Even at normal price they are worth it.

• Like 1