Martin

here we go again... 1057's turn now.

Martin

need to work out whats going on with the charging system. the starter works real well though......

Did it work before?

I had to go over the charging system on my Cub last year...there certainly is a laundry list of things to check on those old generator systems.

I now REALLY appreciate the alternator type...

i rebuilt the s/g. im thinking i messed up the reg while 'restoring' it. a bit of testing will tell me. i read about your cub issues earlier......

smoreau

Looks and sounds good Martin! Getting it running sure makes you want to get the rest done!! :handgestures-thumbupright:

Martin

i took the 1057 out for some pics in the sun after work yesterday. took a few pics and that was going to be all. the test fire wouldnt have even happened if it wasnt for jeanine saying 'when are you going to start that thing, i want to hear it'......

it was close, just needed to do a few things and get the gas lines tight etc, throw on a temp exhaust pipe and muffler. in all the excitement of firing it up i forgot about the pics. well here they are, i just love how this paint come alive in the sun.........

gallery_4321_61_2915566.jpg

gallery_4321_61_1490473.jpg

gallery_4321_61_2321140.jpg

• Like 1

Martin

Looks and sounds good Martin! Getting it running sure makes you want to get the rest done!! :handgestures-thumbupright:

yes scott, lets just say im very motivated right now, except for doing the hood, that is.... :thumbs:

its just as well that it does sound good. there was a trigger happy 11 year old ready to blast it away if it didnt.........

smoreau

its just as well that it does sound good. there was a trigger happy 11 year old ready to blast it away if it didnt.........

:ROTF:

Jake Kuhn

Looks good Martin! Jake

dclarke

Good job Martin! :thumbs: Man, that thing shines.

kpinnc

Amazing how good they look with all that new red paint! Looks like it's gonna be a beauty!

Terry M

Very Nice Martin! :handgestures-thumbupright: Thats one high quality restore. :)

AMC RULES

:happy-wavemulticolor: Congratulations Martin, on a job well done. :happy-wavemulticolor:

ol550

Does this one get a seat or a horse blanket? :ychain::ROTF: :ROTF:

• Like 1

Martin

Does this one get a seat or a horse blanket? :ychain::ROTF: :ROTF:

horse blanket? :scratchead:

what do you mean horse blanket? :dunno:

oh you mean like this..........

IMG_0468.jpg

:ychain: :ychain:

AMC RULES

A matching :wh: blanket...humm, actually...that's a pretty cool idea. :thumbs:

Martin

am i starting a trend here?

CIMG1089.jpg

hey, all fun aside, they both will be getting seats this summer........

maybe........ :)

bowtiebutler956

Martin, you know there was never a Wheel Horse that left the assembly line looking anywhere near that good. You make me sick! :ROTF:

Matt :flags-texas:

Martin

just a small update....

i messed around yesterday with the charging system. did a bit of reading on the subject to give me an idea of what to look for. first of all i tested to see if the s/g was indeed putting out some charge. grounding the f terminal on the s/g gave me 16.5 v+ at the battery, so i know the s/g is putting out charge. which it should, since it was just rebuilt. actually im real happy with the performance of the s/g overall with this one being my first time inside one. starts real nice and now i know it charges too.

looks like the reg is not being nice.

the reg was working fine when it was on the original engine in this tractor when purchased, so i just cleaned it up and installed as is. didnt get inside it at all. i glass beaded the chassis and terminals and sprayed some clear on to protect from rust. just made sure that the terminals had a good connection and ground was good on the chassis. i guess thats not the case with it now that i made it look good. maybe i should have used it looking like crap........

i pulled the cover off it and cleaned and checked point and air gaps. minor adjustment needed to get them into spec. rechecked voltage and was getting around 12.9 v at the battery, i messed around with the adjustment on the closing voltage and got it up to 13.3-13.5 v but thats it. just couldnt get it to budge past 13.5 v. im probably going to give up on it for now and buy a new one. easiest at the moment will be to just get a new one and swap the covers and put this one with the rusty/crusty one that i havent had time to mess with. getting too close to summer to waste time on these things when ive got a bunch of other stuff left to do.

anyway, got a chance to run the engine again for a while. no leaks yet! fuel bowl on carb is a little damp right where the bolt passes through, so might just replace it with a new one. engine runs really nice and oil is still amazingly clean, doesnt even look like its been running at all.

let engine get cold and retorqued head studs to spec. still need to make new exhaust pipe and paint it and muffler, and then engine should be done.

AMC RULES

A matching :wh: blanket...humm, actually...that's a pretty cool idea. :thumbs:

...and it seems the factory agrees...looks like you've revived a trend Martin. :)

post-3498-0-97638800-1332463519_thumb.jp

• Like 1

Martin

:ROTF: :ROTF: :thumbs:

bowtiebutler956

Nice find Craig. :text-datsphatyo: I guess you weren't the first Martin. :ROTF:

Martin

got some work done on the hood. been putting it off, and i just need to work on it and get it done. this is going to be interesting, im not expecting perfection here with this hood at all. ive got it reasonably flat but until i get some powder on it, its hard to tell how good its going to look. heres how it looked a little earlier, had to fill a couple more low spots and then i think that will be it....

and then i will give it a good coat of powder, rub it down with 320 and give it another coat.

ive probably spent a solid week on this with straightening the grill, welding a decent brace where the grill and hood top meet and now getting the top looking half decent.....

gallery_4321_61_781647.jpg

bowtiebutler956

Say Martin, when your done with your hood, will you come down here and do the hood on my Bantam? :ychain: Looking Good!! :thumbs:

Jake Kuhn

Looks good Martin! Jake

Martin

got some goodies from the toro santa today......

some small stuff to finish off some of the left over things......

heres what i got.....

IMG_0570.jpg

IMG_0577.jpg

im not happy the lift handle isnt the same, looks different, like a generic handle bar grip and the hole in the end isnt big enough for the thumb rod to poke through. i heated up a socket on an extension to open the hole enough....

IMG_0571.jpg

hand grip and cap for the rod plunger....

IMG_0573.jpg

knob for height control, exactly the same as my original.......

also in the ipl it shows a cap on the end of the threaded rod....

IMG_0574.jpg

spacer and nyliner bushing for seat pan....

IMG_0575.jpg

and seat bumpers (grommets on the parts list). these are really nice, fit real good and do their job nicely.......

IMG_05791.jpg

i got extras of some stuff for replacements on the worn out stuff on the 875 and 1277. heres the part numbers and prices through my dealer if anybody is interested..

IMG_0578-1.jpg

of all the stuff i guess im a little disappointed in the lift handle grip, and also the hub caps for the front wheels, these dont have the :wh: logo on them...

bowtiebutler956

Wow Martin, talk about detail! You should get a set of front caps from Glenn. Very nice work! :thumbs:

Martin

yeah, i wanted to do that when i get some other stuff from him soon. his caps are nice. i guess i was curious what the toro ones were like.......