Martin

here we go again... 1057's turn now.

Martin

well the reason for the solenoid is twofold. first it relieves starting current passing through the ignition switch while the starter is energized. second, it keeps the heavy gauge wiring out from the dash area. i can just run from the battery to the switch and back to the s terminal of the solenoid using 12 gauge wiring as it only sends a 'signal' to the solenoid when starting power is needed. much easier to tidy 12 and 14 gauge wiring, than fight the 6 gauge common on these models without a solenoid.

twas a good idea from a kiwi friend of mine....... :handgestures-thumbup:

also the size of the battery looks huge in there, but im sure its close to how they were, probably just taller.

specs.....

Battery CA @ 32 Degrees F : 560

Battery CCA @ 0 Degrees F : 450

Battery Reserve Capacity : 55

i think it was 8.5" l x 6.25"w x 7" h...

• Like 1

dclarke

well the reason for the solenoid is twofold. first it relieves starting current passing through the ignition switch while the starter is energized. second, it keeps the heavy gauge wiring out from the dash area.

twas a good idea from a kiwi friend of mine....... :handgestures-thumbup:

Good idea Martin, think I'll add that to the list of things to do to my project. That "Kiwi" friend of yours is pretty sharp! :thumbs:

wingrider

Martin a while back you were talking about cleaning a steering wheel for one of your tractors, and you said you use a product

made by Meguiars that was called plastic restorer for black plastic. I have been trying to find this product with no luck, I even went

to Meguiars web site but didn't see anything like it. Could you give some more info on this product?

I've really enjoyed your resortation work on your tractors and you really do fantastic work on them Keep up the good work.

Thanks Wingrider

Martin

Martin a while back you were talking about cleaning a steering wheel for one of your tractors, and you said you use a product

made by Meguiars that was called plastic restorer for black plastic. I have been trying to find this product with no luck, I even went

to Meguiars web site but didn't see anything like it. Could you give some more info on this product?

I've really enjoyed your resortation work on your tractors and you really do fantastic work on them Keep up the good work.

Thanks Wingrider

i have some of the plastic restorer but i think it was mothers.

i looked back to the steering wheel part and i wrote mothers clear coat polish for the steering wheel finish. its really a cleaner wax, and works really well. this is really all i use on the wheels.....

here...

this is what it looks like.....

unnamed-1.jpg

thanks for the comments, i enjoy posting about working on them as well.............

Martin

little more done.

worked on the regulator, powdered the cover and glass beaded and clear coated the base. looks better than it did. this one was working ok from what i remember and im having trouble locating the 'proper' looking starter/gen regulator new, so this one was tidied up and i will use as is.

how it was......

gallery_4321_61_1103629.jpg

and now, just need to get a decal made for it and its done. thats been left to my friend terry....... :thumbs:

gallery_4321_61_2504527.jpg

roughed in the electrical, need to make sure its routed properly and then cover it up...

gallery_4321_61_500828.jpg

gallery_4321_61_2492900.jpg

gallery_4321_61_1732672.jpg

nearly ready to check all the electrical out to see if it works! just need to finish up the battery cables to the solenoid and back to the starter/generator.

• Like 2

smoreau

Looks like its about to be started!! :) That will be one sweet tractor at the Charlotte Show this year :handgestures-thumbupright: Just don't park yours next to mine! it will put mine to shame. :ychain: VERY NICE JOB Martin! You given me some good ideas with this thread and I like the attention to detail in your work! I can't wait to talk tractors with you at the show!

Martin

Looks like its about to be started!! :) That will be one sweet tractor at the Charlotte Show this year :handgestures-thumbupright: Just don't park yours next to mine! it will put mine to shame. :ychain: VERY NICE JOB Martin! You given me some good ideas with this thread and I like the attention to detail in your work! I can't wait to talk tractors with you at the show!

yep, just the battery cables and run some hard line for the gas tank after i put the tank in....

scott(smoreau) i wouldnt worry about parking yours next to mine yet. the hoods still not finished yet, and its being a pain in the rear to get it looking good.................

do you here me on the hood scott(whfan74)?.........

AMC RULES

3M makes an excellent plastic polish as well. :thumbs:

Martin

3M makes an excellent plastic polish as well. :thumbs:

craig,

back home i used to use a 3m hand glaze for all my plastic polishing. im sure ive seen it over here as well.... very expensive, but awesome product. great for a really nice shine, but did leave watermarks if you used it on paint and the paint got wet.

Terry M

Dang Martin! When are you going to stop it with these cool restore pictures! (just kidding) keep up the nice work :handgestures-thumbup:

whfan74

scott(smoreau) i wouldnt worry about parking yours next to mine yet. the hoods still not finished yet, and its being a pain in the rear to get it looking good.................

do you here me on the hood scott(whfan74)?.........

I hear ya loud and clear buddy........looks like I will be pulling out some elbow grease for mine real soon. I will continue to watch your thread closely. I will let you learn all of the good and bad decisions and then take it from there! :ychain:

• Like 1

speedyleedy

Great looking work your doing martin, cant wait to see the finished product ! :)

Jake Kuhn

Looks good Martin! Jake

chipster2005

WOW!!!! Im amazed at your craftmanship Martin. Im so excited to see the finished product...what a magnificent piece of work...Im truly enthused about restoring my Pops WH now! Thanks for your attention to detail and simplistic mindset.

chip

Martin

got more done today. wiring finished, and all covered. had a small problem testing and getting all working. it ended up being a ground problem. powdercoat isnt a good conductor....

started on the fuel system, making up a line from the tank to pump. not quite finished to the pump.i installed a glass bowl strainer and still deciding on where to install a filter in the line, maybe just before the pump will be the easiest place to be able to change it in the future.

dash wiring all done......

gallery_4321_61_2469067.jpg

solenoid wiring done.....

gallery_4321_61_2227880.jpg

and the rest of it....

gallery_4321_61_2307703.jpg

gallery_4321_61_2494207.jpg

gallery_4321_61_1899212.jpg

put some strips on the fuel tank tray to stop rubbing.

gallery_4321_61_1443410.jpg

gallery_4321_61_2867616.jpg

fuel line fabrication...

gallery_4321_61_203522.jpg

gallery_4321_61_557932.jpg

• Like 1

WheelHorse50

Nicest restoration I've seen. Great job! Keep up the great work. Do you have some sort of wiring diagram for that? If so I might actually be in need...

Martin

i just wired it up from the standard 1057 diagram found in the manual. added the solenoid into the starter part of the circuit.

i will try and post diagrams of how i modified it.....

this one isnt an exact 1057 one (1057 doesnt have the light circuit) but it is similar....

post-4321-0-03973100-1331491116_thumb.jp

and in the first wiring diagram below you can see where the solenoid is hooked into the starter circuit..

post-4321-0-91969300-1331492230_thumb.jp

i dont have any diagrams other than these, maybe if chuck (SOI) or somebody else reads this post and has something clearer then they could post it here for all to see, or at least post a link to it. im ok at posting what i can find, but hopeless at making easy to read wiring diagrams....

condo630

Good work. I like that fuel line...what did you use?

Martin

Good work. I like that fuel line...what did you use?

standard 1/4 inch brake line

massey

That is some fine work there.

kpinnc

Wow that is some nice work. The fuel line work is very nice too!

Martin

decided i would get the engine ready to run this afternoon. hesitant at the same time as this is my first real rebuild with a kohler. new rings, hone, all other bad stuff corrected. not a money pit, just the rings and a gasket set and some misc. more time was spent on making this one look good than replacing parts. maybe a rebore would have been on the safe side if i wanted to be really picky. everything was in tolerance, just high side everywhere. anyway, i couldnt be happier with the engine. sounds strong and runs real nice. not a lot of effort to get it started either. pressurized the gas tank until i could hear the carb bowl filling and it became real hard to blow anymore. needle closed off, so i know the float worked!....

kicked it and it ran after bringing the throttle plate screw up high enough. no choke or throttle cables yet, so it was all hands.

one thing not working was no battery charge so i need to diagnose that, ran out of time tonight......

overall its a big :thumbs: ......

jeanine videoed the evidence, which could have been interesting if things worked out different, maybe id be posting a meltdown instead.....

http://s291.photobuc...nt=IMG_0242.mp4

condo630

Sounds sweet. I'm really enjoying this, Martin.

Martin

Sounds sweet. I'm really enjoying this, Martin.

chris, so am i. im really over the moon about the engine, need to work out whats going on with the charging system. the starter works real well though......

condo630

need to work out whats going on with the charging system. the starter works real well though......

Did it work before?

I had to go over the charging system on my Cub last year...there certainly is a laundry list of things to check on those old generator systems.

I now REALLY appreciate the alternator type...