Sign in to follow this  
elixir20

702 help

elixir20

Hi folks,

In the process of redoing my 702. Today I put in the new axel oil seals with minimal effort. Next came draining the transmission and out came maybe 4 cups of yellowish to clear oily water followed by gobs of black gunk. I let it drain till nothing more came out and then filled with the 90W gear oil called for in the manual. I pushed the tractor around for a while in each gear to fully circulate the oil and then drained out totally milky oil. I'm on the second flush now with the same result. So do I keep at it until it runs clear or is there something quicker? Thanks.

sorekiwi

There are hundreds of posts on here about how to flush water out of a transmission. My favorite brew is kerosene and/or atf

elixir20

Thanks sorekiwi. I have looked at many of these, including the one you mentioned, and diesel. Just don't know weather to continue with the 90W or try one of the others and then have to flush with 90W anyways???

Coadster32

I take all the extra oil and fluid stuff off the shelf that's "light", and flush it thru. It's a good way to get rid of the old 1/4-quarts laying around, without feeling like you wasted something. ATF is good, as is kerosine. Good luck.

elixir20

Am I doing things correctly by pushing the tractor through all of the gears and then draining the fluids? I'm getting quite the workout...

Kelly

I like ATF and then drive it around, probably would not drive it with kero/diesel in it, ATF will lube it and is thin so it runs out faster, buy a cheap 5 qt jug and run it through till your happy with what is comming out.