Sign in to follow this  
Hodge71

18 auto, ANOTHER tranny problem

Hodge71

Guys, got the 18 auto back together and kinda running today and I have a problem with the gauge now. When cold after startup the gauge reads below 100, I run it for awhile and it starts to creep up to 100 and as soon as it goes over 100 it shoots up to 250 and stays there. I panicked the first time it happened and shut it off immediatedly. Checked the hydro with my hand and its lukewarm. So I start it back up and the gauge is pegged at 250 still. I checked it with my IR thermometer and its 109 degrees. yet after I left the tractor sit for an hour and go back out to check it, I turn the key on and its back to 100 again. As soon as I start it and drive her around awhile it shoots back to 250. Where is the sending unit for this thing or could the gauge be shot? Thanks for any help

can whlvr

i wouldnt trust an old gauge,if the machine moves good and stays strong when hoy she should be good

pfrederi

The sending unit is in the hydro pump, center rear. Go to the autoparts store and pick up a Sunpro electric temp gage (about $20). Repalce sending unit and gage 9they have to be matched) Fits fine and is a lot cheaper than Toro OEM (you can't use the mechanical version as the temp probe is too long)