Sign in to follow this  
shootinok

How Much Weight?

shootinok

How much weight are you adding to the tractor?

I've been looking at weight boxes, weight brackets for suitcases etc, that this creative group is building and tried to cast a concrete weight to put on a trailer hitch.

This thing is really heavy - not sure how I will weigh it, but guessing 80#- 90#

How much weight are you adding to your tractor?

GlenPettit

On our 416 (used mainly for tilling the garden) we have added just over 500# (Front & rear tires are filled with Rim Guard [beet juice], have outside weights on front & back, plus inside weights on back & bar lugs all around), all the weight being in & on the wheels, "nothing will stop her", then the tiller must be another 200#.

Where the weight is -- is most important, (low and very close to the wheels). Putting 80# behind the tranny would lighten the front some and reduce steering a little. If you are plowing, you want some weight near the front to reduce side-slip and help steering. Higher tire pressure, 20#, puts less rubber on the ground and improves traction a little, as does bar lug tires and chains. Several little things in the right direction add up to a big improvement. What are you planning to do with your tractor?

sorekiwi

As Glenn said it depends on what you are trying to do.

My snowplow tractor just has loaded rear tires, each one weighing around 75lbs. (It also has 4 link chains)

My blower tractor has 30 lb wheel weights on the rear tires, 2 link chains and this year 80 lbs hanging off the back of the tractor. I havent got to try it out this year, all the storms have missed us so far.

can whlvr

like glen geri said its benificial to have the weight in the tires or on the rims,i have a receiver that i have a holdre for blocks on the rear,it gets great traction for the rears,but i agree that steering is affected,i made concrete weights for the rims,and have never used the rear weights again,its easier on the tractor too have the weights on the rims instead of leverering off the back,jmo

shootinok

Thanks Gents...

I want the weight for plowing snow. I realize it might make my front end lighter, so I've been thinking about how to add some weight up front too.

Higher tire pressure? meaning all around, or just the back?

I got some ag tires for the winter, they're kind of worn so maybe some chains are in the future too.

rexman72

you cannot go wrong with having weight on the tractor as snow can be heavy and the more weight you have the better of you are when pushing the snow.I added front wheel weights on my plow tractor togive it more front weight.

Thanks Gents...

I want the weight for plowing snow. I realize it might make my front end lighter, so I've been thinking about how to add some weight up front too.

Higher tire pressure? meaning all around, or just the back?

I got some ag tires for the winter, they're kind of worn so maybe some chains are in the future too.

Forest Road

You know the old saying "It aint over till the fat lady sings?" Well if you could get her to sit on the tractor with you driving..... it still might not be enough. There's no such thing as to much weight. I run 130+/- lbs on the wheels and another 176lbs of suitcase weights hanging out on the rear. And it doesn't matter if you're 100 or 250lbs somebody has to drive it. Good luck.