Sign in to follow this  
PetesPonies1

OT but related. . . .

PetesPonies1

I know there are some guys here who fabricate great 3 pt lifts and such. So I have a question someone here may be able to answer. I want to build a 3 pt hitch, but not on a tractor. I want to attach it to a jeep or similar. Therefore, the hitch needs to start from some sort of frame that can be welded onto the vehicle, or work like the Farm jeeps from the 40s and 50s. Anyone familiar? The Farm Jeep use a simple setup, but have a very specific type of cylinder. It has two arms that are moved, which operates the hitch. So . what I'm looking for is some ideas?? How would you do it?? Should I try and find a cylinder like I described? Or can it be done with a more normal type of hydraulic cylinder?

http://home.comcast.net/~lhfarmbt/stratton/

thumb-monroelift-diagram.jpg

wallfish

:WRS:

My first thought is to use a 2" trailer receiver. If you need to make it removable then build it to fit the receiver and if you want it to be permanent, then build it directly on it. Depending on the vehicle, you can buy one to fit and bolt right on. I'm not sure where you would find something like the pic you have.

PetesPonies1

I want it permanent similar to the picture.

pfrederi

Lots of farm tractors 3 point use a single cylinder attached to only one side of the rock shaft (the upper pivot shaft with the 2 lift arms).

PetesPonies1

Yes you are correct. I could easily fabricate that and it would be feasible as opposed to finding ( expensive ) a cylinder housing with two arms. Do you think trying to fab up something that looks and works similar to the Jeep version is the way to go?? I like the fact that it attaches to the rear of the truck floor.

SousaKerry

There is a company or at least used to be that made a 3 point hitch for the front of pickup trucks. I remember seeing adds for them when I was a kid in farm magazines

jay in nc

antique power mag. nov/dec 2009 volume 22 issue 1 pages 31-35 has a story by john ittel of oxford ohio titled my turf, my jeeps all about his 3 farm jeeps all w. 3 point hitches. 1946 willys w. a monroe hitch, a 53 cj-3b w. a stratton hitch & a 63 cj-5 w. a newgren hitch. back issues are avalible phone 800-767 5828 . john likes to talk about his jeeps &can be reached at 513-524- 1514 lots of good pics. in the article hope this helps jay in nc :)

Don1977

I don't see why you could not build a three point similar to the one you have shown. Build it out of heavy steel plate with a short cylinder and crank shaft piece to attach the lift arms and the cylinder. Attach the lower arms to an angle mounted to the frame as shown. Use a regular adjustable top link, and add three or more hitch points for it like a tractor, this will give you more adjustment on your attachments. You could also add a sheet metal cover to make it look more like the original.