Sign in to follow this  
Wheelamatic

Gonna try this restoration thing

Wheelamatic

I thought I'd try to post the restoration of my 875 here. It was bought new by my grandfather and was passed down to me in the 80's when I bought my first house. I used it until I sold that house in '99 then it was parked because it took too long to mow the larger yard here.

Fast forward to now, I strapped a gas tank to the hood, added a little gas, hooked up some jumper cables and with a twist of the key it rolled over about 5 times and roared to life.

Here are a few pics of the teardown over the weekend.

P1080177.jpg

P1080181.jpg

P1080193.jpg

P1080196.jpg

AMC RULES

I'm sure you'll do your Grandfather proud. :handgestures-salute:

71_Bronco

Looks like you have a nice base to start with. Keep it up!

Isn't it amazing how easy these things are to pull apart???

can whlvr

congrats on the start,its a great feeling to make these tractors like new again,thats a nice tractor to start with being in the family and all

Wheelamatic

I'd like to get it finished this winter, gramps will be 89 soon and I'm not getting any younger. lol

These things are really easy to strip down, probably only took a few hours all together.

Not much to report but I cleaned up the steering wheel tonight and found no cracks in it. I also tig welded the extra hole closed in the dash..

P1080202.jpg?t=1323226942

VinsRJ

I agree, looks like you are starting with a nice tractor!

clyde

:handgestures-thumbupright: cant wait to see her when you get er done

Sparky

Its nice when you can start with a good solid candidate like your 875.

Gramps will be proud fer sure!

Mike.........

Wheelamatic

Thanks guys

Even though this tractor was a worker, it was well maintained and never stored outside. The best part about it is that it is complete.

I threw together an E-tank to strip parts in tonight so this weekend I will start the paint removal...

Wheelamatic

Well I tried the E-tank this weekend, this is the first time I've tried electrolysis and I must say that I am impressed. I will be building a larger one today! It beats the crap out of stripper and a wire wheel.

Here's a few more pics

IMG_20111210_175125.jpg

IMG_20111210_201454.jpg

And more of the teardown

IMG_20111210_174925.jpg

IMG_20111210_174943.jpg

IMG_20111210_174905.jpg

stevebo

Etank is great for the smaller parts. I find the smaller the amount of water needed the better it works.

• Like 1

Riley088

When using the etank in your shop are there any side affects such as odor or chemicals released

stevebo

Some people say it should be done outdoors or if inside you should open the doors/windows. I have done it in the garage with all doors closed with no issues. Others may be able to chime in on this.

Kelly

I have not done the E tank thing so no coment there, but you started with a very nice machine, and that always helps speed up things, your grand dad will be proud.

Wheelamatic

I did the tank stripping outside! Notice there are no leads going to it in the picture, I brought it inside when I was finished for the day. I heat the shop with a wood stove and that would not go too well with the tank operating inside.

Wheelamatic

Got some work done to the dash plate tonight

From this

P1080209.jpg?t=1323932418

To this

P1080210.jpg?t=1323932010

P1080211.jpg?t=1323932010

• Like 1

Jake Kuhn

Looking good! :bow-blue:

scWHhauler

Allways rember the guy and gals that bult the tractor. Looking good!

rmaynard

Great job so far.

I have found that the e-tank is amazing for rust removal. Hydrogen is a byproduct of electrolysis, and it is flammable, however there is very little produced in a small system such as yours. I would be careful though. If in doubt, use it outdoors.

Wheelamatic

Thanks Guys

Great job so far.

I have found that the e-tank is amazing for rust removal. Hydrogen is a byproduct of electrolysis, and it is flammable, however there is very little produced in a small system such as yours. I would be careful though. If in doubt, use it outdoors.

There's probably not enough gas to ignite but I wouldn't chance it. I have blown up a few batteries in my time, one in my face which burned like no other. You would be surprised how easy they go off with one little spark. Most of my battery explosions were caused by jump starting dozers with a welder but they will blow up with a charger just as easy.

I guess my point is that it does not take much Hydogen gas to ignite in open air, let alone closed up inside a building for hours on end...

COMMANDO6

:eek: That dash is amazing. Very nice job I guess its nice starting with a nice, complete, indoor tractor. No engine of transmission rebuild required, I assume?

Wheelamatic

Thanks Commando

It is nice starting with this tractor, I've started with junk incomplete projects before and won't do it again. The engine and trans are in great shape, unless the engine starts smoking from the long term storage I won't be opening them up.

Wheelamatic

I'm not on a record breaking pace but I did get a little done this weekend...

Primedup.jpg

smoreau

Looking GOOD!! I used a e-tank on allot of my parts for my 875 and was very happy with the final look of the parts. It saved hours of work in the sand blaster and saved lots of $$$ on running the compressor continusly. .

Wheelamatic

Where would a guy find a new handle for this park lever?

IMG_20111217_200825.jpg?